ecobee 4 and HRV

Started by godfather55v, October 10, 2018, 10:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godfather55v

I have read from a previous thread https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2423.msg7598#msg7598  that the ecobee 4/3 could not control an hrv and a humidifier.  Yet it appears to have all the connections to control them by having HUM and ACC+/-. 

So can i setup an ecobee to run my 2 stage furnace, single stage AC, evaporator humidifier, and HRV?

many thanks!

Admin

It's only the Ecobee 3 Lite that can't control an HRV or humidifier.  The Ecobee 4 can control an HRV or humidifier, but not both.

You would need 7 wires to control a humidifier or 8 wires to control the HRV.

godfather55v

ok then, what is recommended to drive a setup like mine.  I have a nest 3 and i have the hrv running on a timer.  I just think there has to be a better way...  I can't be the only person w/ this hvac setup that wants the brains of a ecobee or nest thermostat.  I really have to give creds to ecobee, theirs looks to be much more intuitive from a houses' thermo dynamic's aspect, the window thing, and the reverse staging is really smart. 

Admin

In your case I would use the Ecobee to control the humidifier.

Yes, both Nest and Ecobee need to realize their shortcomings and design a thermostat with 2 sets of dry contacts.

I use the Honeywell Prestige 2.0 and it controls both HRV and humidifier.

walker

I would agree the honeywell prestige 2.0 is the best thermostat on the market.