Future of Gas fitter + hvac wage apprentice expectancy in the GTA

Started by SocialWorkertoHvac, December 08, 2018, 07:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SocialWorkertoHvac

Will make it brief

- 6 months into apprenticeship, working for residential/light commercial (furnaces,water heaters,duct work, gas lines)
-  small 5 man crew (g2 certified, working towards 313d hours)
-25 yrs old, used to work as a caregiver now made the switch to HVAC months ago in the hopes of making an income to support a family

Questions: 1)is there a future (demand) as a gas fitter as the change to electrical is increasing? Should i switch to electrical? i feel as if i picked a trade that will be obsolete :/
                2) Not sure if i picked up right trade as the only way to make money is by having a 313d/a or G1 (or going pure commercial/industry) is that true?
                3)is it true you cannot make good money in residential unless you own a company?
                4) How does the wage increase look like over the months/years (e.g., $1 raise every 6 months?)  (p.s, i make $15 currently)

Thanks

Admin

You'll make alot of money if you work for yourself, but first you need experience by working for someone else.  Then sub out until you're able to sustain your own work.  If you're good there will be lots of opportunity.  As a G2 or 313D the hourly rate can range between $15 and $40 in residential.  That's still enough to make a good leaving, plus you may have health benefits or RRSP contributions included.  I haven't owned a vehicle since my first job in 1996, so that saves a small fortune.

I work in new construction and there is equal opportunity for all trades but the margins are much lower than retail.  Even in retail I would think there is much more service work for an HVAC worker than an electrician.

In new construction my highest earners are sheet metal workers, not gas technicians or air conditioning mechanics.  The irony is the sheet metal exam is by far the easiest to pass but for some reason people don't go that route.  They focus on G2 and 313D certification.  You need to focus on new construction if you're a sheet metal worker, as there's not a lot of demand in retail.

Gas Fitter - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/wages-occupation/16971/geo9219;jsessionid=127B4DA4BA9B7420DBCA314D5E5F5B9E.jobsearch75

Refrigeration And Air Conditioning Mechanic - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/wages-occupation/7533/geo9219

Sheet Metal Worker - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/wages-occupation/4771/geo9219

Porcupinepuffer

You must be pretty green in the field if you currently get $15 an hour. If you really focus and get better at what you do, you should definitely be able to make more then that insulting slap the the face number... In my opinion, a $15 employee is someone who's only good enough to hand me a tool while I do all the work so I don't have to waste my time walking back to the truck  ;D

As far that crazy idea of gas changing in favor of electricity, are you completely nuts? With the rip off hydro rates of Ontario forcing people to completely lose their shirts to pay their bills, there's no way it would go in that direction anytime soon. High efficiency natural gas equipment is the cheapest and cleanest it gets.

Anyways, if I were you and you have shown you're getting pretty good at what you're doing, I'd be looking at a wage increase really soon.

Hvacpimp

The past 10 years I've made close to, if not over to the 100k mark doing just residential piece work. There is money to be made if your good enough and know the right people.

tenletters

Quote from: Admin on December 08, 2018, 10:10:00 PM
You'll make alot of money if you work for yourself, but first you need experience by working for someone else.

Where are you from? I'm only a few years in and I wouldn't think of taking a job that started under $32/hr with benefits and pension. I consider that good money. I'm sure I could do more on my own, but the hours would be a lot longer and pay would definitely be less for a while.

Commercial can be between $48-$58/hr even.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

Admin

I agree $32 an hour with benefits / pension is good money, which was what the OP was asking.  I just meant if you're good, doing anything for yourself ends off paying more in the end.  I've always worked for somebody and those people always seem to have boat loads of money  ;D

There's a lot of financial risk and stress trying to run any business on your own.  I think sub-contracting is a good place to start before trying to run an independent business.

tenletters

I see. I thought you were saying he couldn't do much better than $15 unless he goes on his own.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

SocialWorkertoHvac

Thanks guys for the replies

yeah i am very green, never touched a tool nor mechanically inclined. And yeah I would never want to own a company, too much stress.

wantboost

What's the best or or how do u go about being a sub contractor.  And how does pay usually work .

Quote from: Admin on December 15, 2018, 12:26:20 PM
I agree $32 an hour with benefits / pension is good money, which was what the OP was asking.  I just meant if you're good, doing anything for yourself ends off paying more in the end.  I've always worked for somebody and those people always seem to have boat loads of money  ;D

There's a lot of financial risk and stress trying to run any business on your own.  I think sub-contracting is a good place to start before trying to run an independent business.
G2

mustang8

Quote from: SocialWorkertoHvac on December 08, 2018, 07:46:39 PM
Will make it brief

- 6 months into apprenticeship, working for residential/light commercial (furnaces,water heaters,duct work, gas lines)
-  small 5 man crew (g2 certified, working towards 313d hours)
-25 yrs old, used to work as a caregiver now made the switch to HVAC months ago in the hopes of making an income to support a family

Questions: 1)is there a future (demand) as a gas fitter as the change to electrical is increasing? Should i switch to electrical? i feel as if i picked a trade that will be obsolete :/
                2) Not sure if i picked up right trade as the only way to make money is by having a 313d/a or G1 (or going pure commercial/industry) is that true?
                3)is it true you cannot make good money in residential unless you own a company?
                4) How does the wage increase look like over the months/years (e.g., $1 raise every 6 months?)  (p.s, i make $15 currently)

Thanks
I got my G2 licensed 3 years ago and started working for companies.. Initially i felt it's just a labor work cause lead tech won't allows you to do much as their licensed is involved but you ll have to learn from visualizing, interacting with other techs, attend training programs by suppliers / manufacturers and get as many as credential/ certification...it s really a hard journey for at least one and half year.. but when you get confidence of leading installation / service then ball in your court and you can make as much as money you want.. But key success in this field is your knowledge ..
I started working with companies with $12/hr. and i learnt installation, duct work, servicing and sales as well. Now i have my own business which m putting lot of hard work to grow and making closed to 70k... but for me what m making after 10 years is matter most..
So goal yourself for next 10 years

wantboost

For u guys saying u r making 70 to 80k is that in small town or toronto ??  Are u self employed , sub , or working for someone .
I figured a g2 would make more on their own then 80k
G2

Hvacpimp

Quote from: wantboost on February 13, 2019, 06:10:28 PM
For u guys saying u r making 70 to 80k is that in small town or toronto ??  Are u self employed , sub , or working for someone .
union company 90-100k/year as an employee
Now contracting 100-120k/year contracting
Keep in mind, I bust my ass off 6-7 days a week (6-8hrs/day) used to be Toronto but now all Durham region. The best advice I can give you is make contacts, make contacts, make contacts!!!
*remember, it's not what you know, it's who you know (within reason). Every time I've applied and/or been hired for a job, it's been through recommendations.

wantboost

But how do u initially get some business?
Make contacts how ??

Quote from: Hvacpimp on February 27, 2019, 04:32:35 PM
Quote from: wantboost on February 13, 2019, 06:10:28 PM
union company 90-100k/year as an employee
Now contracting 100-120k/year contracting
Keep in mind, I bust my ass off 6-7 days a week (6-8hrs/day) used to be Toronto but now all Durham region. The best advice I can give you is make contacts, make contacts, make contacts!!!
*remember, it's not what you know, it's who you know (within reason). Every time I've applied and/or been hired for a job, it's been through recommendations.
G2

Hvacpimp

A lot of business comes from word of mouth. Trust me, if you are good enough, try your best and actually show that you give a crap it will go a long way! The thing with me in making contacts (my opinion and experiences only) is that I try talk to everyone with respect and get to know as many people as I can. You never know when it will come in handy. My helper used to get pissed at me because when we would go to the supplier I would always run into someone I knew and end up talking for a bit lol.