Lennox 14HPX-030 - fan will not kick on

Started by BLKeley, September 11, 2019, 02:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLKeley

I have an issue with where my Lennox AC fan will not kick on. I replaced the dual run capacitor...still no joy. 

Does this model have a reset button on the compressor?  I know some do and some don't...just hoping this model does. 

Thanks!

Admin

Admin

Are you sure you're getting 24V and 240V to the outside unit?  You should read 24V between the R and C terminals outside.  Then when you set the system to cool you should measure 24V between Y1 and C outside.  There could be a 24V high pressure switch that is open preventing the 24V from closing the contactor.  Did you try manually pushing in the contactor to see if the fan and compressor start?

Did you check the unit's diagnostic LED for lock out codes?  I attached a picture for reference.

It could be as simple as a dead earwig preventing the contactor from closing.

BLKeley

My multimeter went kaput on me so i haven't been able to check the voltages.  However, when i press the contact in, nothing happens.

Thanks by the way for the Faults attachments.  I will look at the circuit board to see if its giving any codes.

Admin

If you manually push the contactor in and nothing starts it sounds like the unit isn't getting 240V.

BLKeley

Yeah, I was hoping it was a faulty contactor.  However,  sometimes.....when I turn the 'Cool  off at my thermostat for about 30 secs and turn it back to cool, once the air handler kicks, outside at my AC unit, I hear a click (sometimes) but still nothing happens.

Admin

Well that sounds like the contactor closing so I would say your issue is with line voltage.

Do you have fuses or breakers and are you sure the disconnect box is on?

BLKeley

In that case, does anyone have a diagram of which points to check to see if power is being applied?

Lennox HPXA12-030-230-03

Porcupinepuffer

If you have to ask, you have no business attempting to fix it yourself. get a professional to look at it before you electrocute yourself to death.

BLKeley

I won't electrocute myself with a multimeter.  Financial experience with "pros" is that ALL work is waaay overpriced.  For example, my unit for upstairs, he only had to replace the dual run capacitor (5 min job = $268)...and a fan capacitor ($168).  The "fan" lead on the dual run was not connected (don't know why) hence, a separate fan capacitor.   Anyways, for a max 15 min job.....$404.  Really??

I bought a dual run capacitor for my downstairs unit from Amazon for $19.08.  Pros??  I find it hard to use them anymore...unless my compressor needs replaced....something I can't do.

Sergroum

I'll be honest, if you need to ask where to measure to see if you have 220, it means you don't know where 220 is. If you don't know where 220 is, right away I'm leery to recommend you to measure, or press, or tug anything. You'll end up placing your finger somewhere for support and then going to blame us for getting zapped by 220.

I don't mind discussing measuring 24volts. Sometimes they are not obvious and at worst, you'll burn out the board. But Giving advice on where live line voltage is ... I'm not comfortable with that.

Best of luck.