Author Topic: Split fridge/freezer system  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Bananabender56

Split fridge/freezer system
« on: November 02, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
Hi. I have a single recip compressor feeding a fridge and freezer holding plate system. Each compartment has a thermostat and connects to a solenoid valve, meaning that refrigerant is directed to the appropriate compartment. The system uses R134A.
As far as I can tell the system initially ran on R12.
Each compartment has a TEV with manual adjustment.
The fridge side is kept around 40F minimum and when running pulls the temp down quite quickly.
The freezer side is kept around 8F and as expected takes longer to bring the temp down.
During fridge running liquid is seen in the sight glass while the freezer running has no visible liquid - I believe the glass is flooded. When both systems are running there is visible liquid in the glass, barely registering in the bottom of the window.
Given the differences in cooling rates across compartments and the different refrigerant level is it possible that the manual expansion valve settings are out of balance?

Offline rmuntz

• Pro Techâ„¢
Re: Split fridge/freezer system
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
There's really not enough information here. Based on what you've said about the sight glass, it sound like the refrig level is low, but pressure readings would help. What size are the boxes, are stats mechanical or digital, is the freezing plate just a gravity type thing? This sounds more like a school project. The only reason you would want to adjust the tx valves is to adjust the superheat. The system would run better with the freezer on a stat and the cooler on an EPR.