R-410A Fractionalization Fact or Fiction?

Started by Admin, June 25, 2007, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Because R-410A is a blend of refrigerants can it be added to an existing R-410A system charge?

R-410A is a near azeotropic refrigerant mixture with a negligible temperature glide. There are no concerns about fractionalization should refrigerant loss occur, so R-410A can be added without any concern. It is highly recommended that R-410A be charged as a liquid only.

Refrigerant 410A is a near azeotropic refrigerant, meaning that while it is a non-azeotrope refrigerant it exhibits a very low temperature glide during evaporation or condensation, making it behave very nearly like an azeotropic refrigerant. This means that while it is still best when charging to remove the R-410A as a liquid from the storage cylinder, there are no concerns about fractionalization of the R-410A refrigerant should a leak occur. That means that a R-410A system can be topped-off without any concern about altering the composition of the blend. Typically, these are all items of concern when dealing with non-azeotropic refrigerants, but again R-410A behaves nearly like an azeotropic refrigerant.

Sources:
EPA R-410A Certification Manual

&

HVACJOE

Yeah, the only problem with it though is that your pumping up your head another 150 psi or so, all manufacturers are making the copper thinner and thinner now and were increasing our head pressures with 410, whats going to happen when these condensers start plugging up?! Further more, whats wrong with HC22A? (theres a few different names) but basically a propane based refrigerant (and I've tried to ignite it with no success) thats used throughout europe, running better pressures and good efficiency, zero ozone depletion...

Admin

Quotethe only problem with it though is that your pumping up your head another 150 psi or so, all manufacturers are making the copper thinner and thinner now and were increasing our head pressures with 410, whats going to happen when these condensers start plugging up?!

That's what the high pressure switch is for  ;D

HVACJOE

Hahaha, yeah no doubt, ofcourse it will be an autoreset compressor killer switch too :) oh well, more repairs for me!

HVACJOE

I forgot to add last time, that ofcourse there will be fractionaliztion in 410 as in any blend, I dont care what anyone says, if you get a leak in a line (hot gas or suction) where theres a vapour theres always that chance and sure it can be added to same as 414b or any other blend, but eventually it will lose stability, the only cure for that is good workmanship, if there are that many leaks, (or leaks that arent being fixed) its the mechanics fault that the refrigerant has been comprimised

ProTemp

From experience if you loose more than 25% of your charge, recover and recharge with 100% liquide. The fractionnation will cause the same effect as non-condensables. High pressure switch will trip for sure on amb days over 90 deg F. Watch out for Carrier 2 stage units. Most installers don't understand the science so they add freon thinking its undercharged and not realizing its on low cooling call. When they add the froen its all vapor and thats where it starts with the fractionation.....just my 2 cents... 8..