I've been told installing a programmable Wi-Fi thermostat for a heat pump is...

Started by gfr92y, September 18, 2023, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfr92y

I've been told installing a programmable Wi-Fi thermostat for a heat pump is not a walk-in-the-park the first time.

If I posted my summary of Honeywell's installation steps and function and option settings, do you someone might review it and let me know if I am missing anything?

Thanks!

gfr92y

Sergroum

Sorry.  Its not extremely difficult, its just different.  If you are installing a hybrid fuel system expect to need 6 wires

Admin

If you post a picture of the existing thermostat with the wires connected it should be easy to help you.  Post the model #'s of the equipment too. 

And if you're new to a heat pump make sure you don't program the thermostat to use setbacks.  Keep the temperature constant in heat pump mode otherwise you risk using AUX heat more than need be.

gfr92y

I would greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to review my plan forward for replacing my thermostat and share any helpful comments or suggestions, or sarcastic remarks.

Thanks!

gfr92y

Quote from: Sergroum on September 18, 2023, 06:01:48 PMSorry.  Its not extremely difficult, its just different.  If you are installing a hybrid fuel system expect to need 6 wires

I am replacing a 12-year-old non-programmable non-Wi-Fi Honeywell TH3210D1004 with a new 7-day programmable Wi-Fi Honeywell RTH6580WF1001.

Below is a picture of the old terminal block mapped to the new terminal block.

2nd Floor - Old to New Thermostat - Wiring - v2.png

Quote from: Admin on September 18, 2023, 06:34:20 PMIf you post a picture of the existing thermostat with the wires connected it should be easy to help you. 

See above.

Quote from: Admin on September 18, 2023, 06:34:20 PMPost the model #'s of the equipment too. 

I am replacing a 12-year-old non-programmable non-Wi-Fi Honeywell TH3210D1004 with a new 7-day programmable Wi-Fi Honeywell RTH6580WF1001.

Quote from: Admin on September 18, 2023, 06:34:20 PMAnd if you're new to a heat pump make sure you don't program the thermostat to use setbacks. 

Yes, I have only replaced conventional HVAC thermostats.

Below are the steps I am planning to follow unless I am told to do otherwise.

Likewise, below are the settings and functions I am planning to use, again, unless I am told to do otherwise.

Quote from: Admin on September 18, 2023, 06:34:20 PMKeep the temperature constant in heat pump mode otherwise you risk using AUX heat more than need be.

I am not sure how to implement your suggestion above.

Steps

1.    Switch OFF power to the heat pump system at the circuit breaker box.

Is there any reason to remove the two pull-out disconnects located on top of the air handling unit?

2.    Remove the old thermostat faceplate and take a picture of the wire connections for later reference; see above.

The old thermostat operated without batteries despite having a place for two AA batteries.

3.    Label wires by terminal connection.

I am planning to skip this step given the correlation of wire color and terminal designation recognizing that the black wire goes to the C-terminal.

4.    Disconnect wires from connection block and remove old wallplate.

5.    Separate the new thermostat faceplate from its wallplate and mount it on the wall.

6.    Connect the black wire to the C-terminal and the remaining wires as shown in the photo above.

7.    Attached faceplate to the wallplate.

8.    Switch ON power to the heat pump system at the circuit breaker box.

9.    Set clock to current day and time.

10.    Set functions and options: For heat pump systems, follow instructions on pages 18 and 19 (see below) to change the system type by setting System Function 1 to match your thermostat to your system type.

Please review: I highlighted what I think are the correct settings on pages 18 and 19 (see below).

11.    Test thermostat per instructions.

12.    Setup Wi-Fi per instructions.

18-19 A.png

18-19 B.png

18-19 C.png

gfr92y

Quote from: Admin on September 18, 2023, 06:34:20 PMIf you post a picture of the existing thermostat with the wires connected it should be easy to help you.  Post the model #'s of the equipment too. 

And if you're new to a heat pump make sure you don't program the thermostat to use setbacks.  Keep the temperature constant in heat pump mode otherwise you risk using AUX heat more than need be.

Admin,

Thanks for your offer of assistance!

Any feedback or suggestions regarding the information I provided per your instructions?

Thanks!

gfr92y

Admin

The wiring looks good!

I meant to say when using the heat pump mode don't use programming that allows the house to get too cold, as the heat pump recovery is slow.  You wouldn't want to lower the temp to 16C and then have it reheat to 21C.  It's best to leave the temperature set and left without setbacks.

I would turn off the heat pump breakers or pull the disconnect.  Sometimes the heat pump has it's own transformer that may feed power back to the furnace.

What kind of heat pump is it?  You should be good with O energizing on cooling.

And what kind of AUX heat do you have, electric?  In that case you can set the Heating Cycle Rate to electric.

The only setting I can't find is the heat pump lockout temp, but I suspect it uses the WIFI to get the outdoor temperature and will automatically switch to AUX heat when it's too cold to run the heat pump.