Older Rheem Outside unit kicking breaker

Started by sqzdog, June 07, 2008, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sqzdog

Hi-

I have been posting on another site, but saw the link to this one so I thought I would post my problem here and what I have done so far.

I have an older Rheem heat pump. Probably close to 20 years old. Luckily it is used for my garage so I'm not dying over here, just want to troubleshoot it and fix it if I can before I call in the pros.

Everytime I turn the system on, it kicks the breaker to the outside unit and sometimes kicks the main garage breaker as well.

So here's where I am on this today. My references to parts is by using the wiring diagram on the inside cover of the heat pump.

Double checked the voltage coming from panel box to outside unit and I get 240V at the house side of the contactor.

I have a Starting capacitor that is corroded. One wire comes off of that and goes to Start relay and the other wire goes to the Run Capacitor.

When I turn the system on, the fan slowly turns (quietly) and then after about 7 minutes the contactor (where the wires from the house come in) clicks and kicks the breaker in the house. The compressor also makes a click at the very same time.

I have checked all wires and found them to be snug and free of any cuts, etc. from rodents. The only corrosion I find is on the starting capacitor. I cleaned that off and still get the same results.

I haven't been able to test the start capacitor because I don't think my meter has a uF setting for that.

I'm stumped!

I have attached a photo of my system and labeled it according to the wiring diagram.

TKG26

Without being there:
-bad contactor(contacts are black from years or arching(no sand cloth wont fix this replace it)
-Bad capacitor
-make sure all connections are tight...

Pulling hi amps is never a good thing, allow it to labour for 7minutes is not the safest thing to do.  Call in a HVAC tech.  Or if your a DIY replace both the capacitor and contactor... About 100$ worth of parts that dont last for ever...

sqzdog

So, this should have kicked on right away instead of the 7 minutes I waited? That would be normal?