high wall returns

Started by oldguy2, November 13, 2009, 07:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy2

whats with these builders wanting high wall returns now. i know its a good idea for cooling but for heating what good is it. cold air falls. so in order to heat your home right you need a low wall return. i just came from a new home with return air up high and home owner complaining about how cold his house is. we have more heating days then cooling days and i still say the returns should be low wall.ideally they should be high and low for heating and cooling but the builder wont pay for it that way. anyways i'm just bitching again.i'm looking at a contract here that says the builder wants high wall returns on the second floor and low wall returns on the main floor. then it says that its up to the contractor to make sure that the high wall returns dont effect the heating side of it. so that tells me they know good damn well its not right. what gives here

Admin

I agree!  I install top and bottom returns with adjustable louvres.  However today's variable speed fans running continuously seem to solve alot of temperature issues.

tyreman

Quote from: oldguy2 on November 13, 2009, 07:46:23 AM
whats with these builders wanting high wall returns now. i know its a good idea for cooling but for heating what good is it. cold air falls. so in order to heat your home right you need a low wall return. i just came from a new home with return air up high and home owner complaining about how cold his house is. we have more heating days then cooling days and i still say the returns should be low wall.ideally they should be high and low for heating and cooling but the builder wont pay for it that way. anyways i'm just bitching again.i'm looking at a contract here that says the builder wants high wall returns on the second floor and low wall returns on the main floor. then it says that its up to the contractor to make sure that the high wall returns dont effect the heating side of it. so that tells me they know good damn well its not right. what gives here

we were doing those(highwalls and standards) in the late 80's and into the 90's.
Keep in mind that the air draws from lowest return 1st anyway.
Thats why nobody wants to do new housing much anymore there not much money in it.