Redtek 12a instead of r134a?

Started by B18aboost, August 17, 2010, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B18aboost

I ran out of r134a on one of my job and dont really want to buy the entire can of 134a, just wondering can i use those Redtek 12a stuff from Canadian Tire?  ???

Admin

I don't have any experience myself with these refrigerants, but Redtek 12a is an approved substitute for 134a, and it's compatible with the POE oil in 134a.  Personally I would never mix refrigerants.  I would add only 134a to your existing charge, or recover and recharge with Redtek 12a.

I found this on the RedTek website - Here

Quote6) Evacuation of the refrigerant in the system is recommended prior to installing RED TEK® 12a refrigerant. Recover all existing refrigerants into a suitable approved container and mark appropriately, as FEDERAL REGULATIONS PROHIBIT THE VENTING OF REFRIGERANTS INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. Although RED TEK® 12a is compatible with most existing refrigerants and oils, DO NOT MIX REFRIGERANTS. Mixing refrigerants is illegal in Canada and the US and will not offer the maximum performance available from RED TEK® 12a.

rmuntz

On the MSDS sheet it shows Redtek as being flammable and explosive. Stay away from it.
In automotive there is generally no welding required for repair, although if there was a leak there are plenty of potential sources of ignition under the hood.

B18aboost

cool thankx for all the inputs, ended up buying a can of r134a anywayz figure will use it again later on