My HRV is not working. Help please

Started by CarloR, January 07, 2011, 07:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarloR

I have a life breath 155max HRV that is no longer working.

When I purchased the home it worked just fine.  Each bathroom in the house has the switches on the wall to turn the unit on but when they are pressed it does not turn on.

I'm not sure when it stopped working. 

I installed a programmable thermostat a few months ago(Honeywell RTH7600).  I'm not sure if this was when it stopped working or if it has anything to do with it.  That is the only change that I have made to the heating or cooling system in the home.

Will a programmable thermostat cause the HRV to stop working?

Admin

What is the make and model of the HRV?
It may be involved in a recall.  I would unplug the HRV and open the front panel.  Try spinning the blower wheel by hand and see if it's seized.

It's unlikely replacing the thermostat caused the problem.  The HRV probably has it's own transformer.  Is there a separate HRV control installed beside the thermostat?

CarloR

It is a Lifebreath 155max.

How easily should the wheel spin?  It spins but I'm thinking it should probably spin more freely.

On the HRV there is a dial to control the humidity and a control for the fan speed, that is all that is on there

Admin

It should spin easily and rotate freely.

https://www.hrvinfoline.com/

Visit that site and check the serial number.  Plug it back in and wait a bit, then unplug it and see if the motor is hot.  If it's white it may have been recalled.

Also make sure you have power at the plug.  Do you hear any dampers opening when you plug it in?

CarloR

If I'm not mistaken I have an affected HRV, the motor is white.  I registered on the website you provided.  What happens now?

The motor was warm when I touched it.

There is power going to it...the light on the fan speed control switch comes on.
Also, when I open the lid the damper on the left side moves

Admin

As far as I know you just call and leave a message.  They will return the call within 72 hours and have a technician come replace the motor at no charge.

Nutech @ 1-866-557-0535

Have the model and serial number handy, you may need to provide that in your message.  I would leave the HRV unplugged for now.  It sounds like a bad motor.