G3 practical exam

Started by tinrob, February 17, 2010, 11:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinrob

I am going to challenge the G3 and I was wondering if anyone knows what I should expect on the practical exam.

Admin

Click Here to download the TSSA certification policies and procedures document, and info regarding challenging the exam rather than completing a full course.

The G3 practical skill assessment is fairly straight forward.  The TSSA inspector will book a lab near you at a training center or college.

You will be allowed to use your codebook and will be asked to locate sections or clauses.  Just use the index at the back of the code book for reference.

You will also be tested on pressure testing and purging.  Read Annex H of the code book.  Make sure you know how to cut, ream and thread pipe.  When you seal any threads make sure you don't seal the last two threads at the end of the pipe.  Practice flaring copper and know the difference between a forged and milled flare nut.

You may also be asked about the basic operation of a furnace.  Make sure you know how to test the safeties.  The inspector will want to see you disable the fan motor neutral or remove the fan belt to test the primary limit safety.  You may also have to adjust the manifold pressure.

You may also be asked to test a thermocouple and thermopile.  You may also be asked to cut and glue 636 venting.

Good Luck!

Machi_chor

I also have  my g3 pratical exam coming up.

I am wondering if someone can guide me.
I bought a manometer and common tools required to do the exam.
I bought a testo 510I, it does not come with fittings to check regulator pressure nor static pressure.
Any advise of which size fittings I should take with me?
I got a 1/4 hose and 3/8 hose that  came with the tester.
I'm looking for the most common fittings/adaptor sizes.

Thank you.

gg3

Do I understand this right ?
To disable the fan motor neutral or remove the fan belt to test the primary limit safety means we are disabling the fan to let the manifold overheat and that way check if the safety switch works?

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: tver on November 07, 2021, 12:49:22 PM
Do I understand this right ?
To disable the fan motor neutral or remove the fan belt to test the primary limit safety means we are disabling the fan to let the manifold overheat and that way check if the safety switch works?

The manifold is still going to work the burners as normal. What is going to heat up is the heat exchanger since there will be no blower to move the air across to keep it within the listed temperature rise for that particular furnace. Once it's beyond that maximum temperature rise by enough degrees, then the high limit is going to open and shut off the gas valve. The temperature rating of the switch will also vary from furnace to furnace and sometimes propane/natural gas may have different switches to be used in some conversions.

gg3