Fireplace Replacement

Started by walker, December 17, 2018, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

Trying to get my feet wet on a fireplace replacement.

Attached picture is current fireplace.  It's a direct vent.

Based on those measurement what am I looking for on replacement options, I'm not entirely sure what parameters I need to go by.  Any fireplace pros here.  I'm wanting to use a Continental.

NoDIY

Start by downloading the installation manual. To see how much framing you will need to adjust and how much cement board above and to the side you may require.

walker

Yes I will read the installation manual, but I'd like to narrow down my options so I know what manual I need.

Porcupinepuffer

Worked 10 years doing retail fireplace installs. We did this sort of situation several times where we yank out the existing piece of junk and slap another in its place. Is this at your place, or a customers?

It all boils down to how far you want to go and possibly what kind of fireplace you want to replace it with. I'd recommend getting a bunch of the brochures from the fireplace center on zero clearance units and get measurements... Different trim kits can also cover varying size of openings.

If it was me, I may look into removing the outdated tile and change it out with ledgestone.

Pay attention to depth and whether a unit is rear or top vent. Something like a GD36 or contintental 36 would seem like it should go in there with relative ease.

walker

Thanks for the tips.  The current model vents out of the back. It's at one of my customers home.