Forged vs Milled Flare Fittings

Started by Admin, November 09, 2010, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I see alot of gas fitters replacing appliances and re-using existing milled flared nuts.  As of 2007 milled flare nuts have been banned.

QuoteClause 6.2.5 - Flared nuts shall be forged.

A milled flare nut will have a sharp edge, and a shoulder after the wrench fitting.  A forged flare nut will have a smooth edge and no shoulder after the wrench fitting.

Admin

Update:  It is impossible to identify if a flare nut is forged or extruded without laboratory testing. 

Clause 6.2.5 was amended in 2012,

QuoteClause 6.2.5 - Flare nuts shall be forged from UNS C37700 brass and shall not be externally machined.

See the TSSA Advisory FS-210-14 - Here

Porcupinepuffer

Since I started back in 2003, I only using forged nuts. I only the ones we used had the shorter head since the longer ones were just more money and more difficult to get on copper that isn't perfectly straight.

I've seen hundreds of the old milled nuts on older installs and never seen a single problem with them. I do remember a batch of our forged nuts that gave us major problems. They would easily split in a completely circular pattern around the top of the nut (assuming from the pressure of the flare pressing against the brass fitting would cause this).
Several would crack under very mild torque; Long before the wrench would even make any marks around the nut.
You can clearly see forged nuts are quite a bit beefier than the milled ones, but I'm still skeptical to say the milled are no good.
If TSSA saw the pile of nuts we had cracking, they would have switched it around to make milled the only allowable nuts for use.

harshal

So if you have copper tubing I think it shall be replace. Bcoz u can't prove that it is forged flare.I think I will use gastite.

Admin

It's weird the Advisory says we only have to replace the flare nut at the appliance connection when replacing the appliance.  The other illegal flare nuts don't have to be replaced.  This seems to contradict Clause 6.2.5.

Porcupinepuffer

It seems because you're disconnecting it at the appliance end, you're now tampering with it and it will need to be ensured that it's up to code and that you're not re-torquing some old nut that may not be properly forged. I guess they're not worried about the other end of the line if it was un-touched and not leaking? It's as if they're allowing it to be grandfathered if you didn't touch it.
I have yet to start coming across new enough units that only need the nuts replaced. For the most part, old installs of copper didn't use G copper, (they used ACR) and the entire copper section needs to be replaced with new copper anyway.