Montigo Fireplace

Started by G.P., December 22, 2012, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.P.

Hey guys, was at a customer's place to connect his BBQ and he mentioned that his fireplace would not start.  I told him I would have a quick look at it.
He has a Montigo C38-BV power vented unit in a condo.

Pilot ignites manually, as soon as you let go of the knob, flame goes out.
Millivolts on TP and TC checked out good.
Re-connected TC after the open test and then while I went to perform closed test the pilot stayed lit.
The TC has an in-line limit switch that is mounted to the top back of the fireplace on protruding part of the firebox.
I suspect disconnecting this and re-connecting it, reset the limit switch and then allowed the pilot to stay lit this time.
10 minutes later the flame and pilot went out again. disconnected the limit switch and then put it back and it lit.  The location of the limit switch is hot to the touch but not scolding as it is not directly on the Firebox.
Any ideas where we can get these thermocouples or who sells these parts and limit switches? Tried noble and wolseley and neither have it.
I emailed manufacturer for the manual as it is no longer on their website and have not heard back from them so i don't have a part number.  In a similar model manual it shows that it only has the straight thermocouple without the limit switch on it.
Thanks again!
George

Admin

You can download the Montigo C38BV manual - Here

I couldn't find it on their main webpage under the manuals section either, but you can sneak into their files easy enough - Here

The thermocouple you have has a built in E.C.O (emergency cut-off) terminal block, which is wired to the safety switch.  The safety switch should open if things get to hot and automatically close once things cool down.

I would disconnect the wires from the thermocouple terminal block and install a jumper wire with 1/4" stake-on connectors, across the thermocouple terminal block.  If the pilot holds with the jumper than the problem is most likely not with the thermocouple but with the safety switch or with the wiring connectors that attach to the thermocouple or safety switch.  Try replacing the wiring connectors at the thermocouple and the safety switch first.

A good wiggle test, while the pilot is holding, of all the wires and connections is sometimes all it takes to find the problem in a millivolt circuit.

If need be you can go into any fireplace shop and find a similar thermocouple with terminal block, just match the length.  You probably need a 24" thermocouple for that fireplace.  You should also be able to match a safety switch based on it's temperature rating that is usually printed on the switch itself.

Your fireplace most likely has a S.I.T gas valve.

Here's someone selling a S.I.T thermocouple online,
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/164760/products/SIT-Thermocouple.html?d_id=5113

You could also use a generic fireplace thermocouple and buy a Honeywell Thermocouple ECO adapter and wire it to the safety switch,
http://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-9735-14-x-14-thermocouple-eco-adaptor-high-limit-adaptor-honeywell.aspx

G.P.

Thanks for the links, I will try the jumper and see how it goes. Customer is on vacation now but I'll let you know the outcome!
Cheers, Merry Christmas and Have a healthy and happy 2013!!!

G.P.

So it turned out to be a faulty limit switch.  The replacement one had a different mounting bracket so i could put one screw in but the 2nd had to be re-tapped.  Given the fact that only a stubby fit in the little space, it was quite fun!
Thanks again!

Stubbers

Hey George, I know I am digging up an old thread but where did you locate the part for this fireplace? I've a montigo fireplace that needs some parts replacing