s 636 glue

Started by harshal, September 24, 2014, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshal

Has anyone come across the s 636  glue that isnot the grey.I came across the furnace installation that has s-636 vent install but it would have light yellow glue. Any thoughts?

Admin

That sounds like 636 transition cement.  The furnace probably has a ABS vent connector, so the installer used the yellow transition cement.  They make an orange cement for 636 CPVC and the grey for 636 PVC.

The orange glue can be used on either.

harshal

Couldn't find like  that.The homeowner will going to re with proper glue.had to issue b tag.thx for the info.

Admin

Sorry, I misunderstood!  You're right, if the entire vent system was glued with yellow glue there's a problem.

Both IPEX and GVS 636 PVC glue are grey.

walker

I've seen the yellow glue used on the 636 PVC that is gray, I think its the higher temp stuff, and also on older what looks to be CPVC.  Did that off white CPVC venting ever meet the code with the yellow glue?

scarey8

In the Ipex install instructions it details there is a clear primer for the s636 venting... anything is better than the purple but I can see this being a problem.  Inspectors not being able to identify if primer was used if install took place below 0 Degrees C.

Grey Ipex glue is for s636 pvc only

Orange Ipex glue is backwards compatible, it is approve for both cpvc joints, and pvc joints

pvc to cpvc transitions are only to be made with orange cement. 

harshal

I see the problem there bcoz installer use the clear glue for the s 636.it wasn't any transition .was entire 636 length.

Android412

I see this fairly frequently. I'm fairly certain its regular plumbing PVC glue, and people are using it on 636 assuming there's no difference.