Underground Kits -- Tracer Wire

Started by Attavior, October 26, 2014, 08:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attavior

At a installation of a after meter kit, running 280 m 1.25 plastic to the house.  The home owner fired the company that installed the underground kit for many reasons.  I was there and noticed the tracer wire that they used was the 16gauge bonding wire (uninsulated)

Now the B149 states,

Plastic piping or tubing shall be accompanied by a tracing wire or other electronically detectable tracing
media.

It doesn't outline that it should be insulated.

Where the Z662:

A continuous, electrically insulated, minimum 14 gauge metallic tracer wire shall be installed in the ditch
adjacent to polyethylene pipelines. Tracer wire shall be checked for electrical continuity immediately
following installation. Tracer wire shall be made resistant to corrosion damage, either by use of coated
copper wire or by other means

Now the inspection can only be done using the B149.  Best practice would be to have it insulated just as the Z662 outlines.  Does the b149 reference the Z662 at all?  Can the inspector require the all the underground piping get dug up and a proper tracer wire be installed??

Admin

Clause 4.6.1 references CSA Z662, but it pertains to gas meters and service regulator installations.
Quote4.6.1 - Meter and service regulator installations shall be in accordance with CSA Z662. (See Annex D.)

Clause 2 of the Gas Code also references CSA Z662.

Clause 6.15.14 says we can use tracer wire or detectable tracing media.  That's not very clear or specific.  It sounds like we could bury anything that is metallic and detectable and doesn't mention it having to be insulated.
Quote6.15.14 - Plastic piping or tubing shall be accompanied by a tracing wire or other electronically detectable tracing media.

CSA Z662 Clauses 13.1.4.1 and 13.3.4.2 say the same thing,
QuoteTracer wire shall be made resistant to corrosion damage, either by use of coated copper wire or by other means.

The fact is there is nothing in the B149.1-10 that says the detectable tracing media must be insulated.  Clause 4.1.2 says if there's a conflict between the CSA Z662 and the Gas Code, the B149.1-10 shall govern.
Quote4.1.2 - When a specification or document referenced in Clause 2 contains a requirement that conflicts with a requirement in this Code, the requirement in this Code shall govern.

I would call the local inspector and ask if they would want the copper tracing wire to be insulated.  As the distributor they can essentially enforce any requirement they want.

Attavior

Not sure of the manufacturer of the underground PE, but from the Gastite - Underground Gas
Polyethylene (PE) Piping installation instructions.  I am thinking they won't differ too much from manufacturer to manufacturer.

7) An electrically continuous corrosion-resistant tracer wire (minimum AWG 14) or magnetic tape shall be buried with the polyethylene pipe to facilitate locating. One end shall be brought above the ground at a building wall or riser. The wire or tape shall not be in direct contact with the polyethylene pipe.

I am thinking its going to be dug up and done correctly - its going to be my recommendation at least, see what the inspector says when he shows up. 

Admin

That's the answer.  Verify who the manufacturer of the underground pipe is.  Clause 4.1.3 says to follow their instructions.

Thanks for the update!

bster352

Gastite makes tracer wire and magnetic tape for this application. The tracer wire has a coating on it.

Attavior

Pipe was manufactured by International Pipe, so the Gastite installation instructions wouldn't directly apply.  As a best practice I agree 100%, use what wire/material is made for it's specific purpose.  A look for an installation manual from International comes up with nothing.  I called distributor today, and they don't have one.  They just refer everything back to the b149.  Going to be up to the guy to comes to inspect it. 

Porcupinepuffer

6.15.14 doesn't state it has to be insulated, but it also doesn't state it doesn't have to be insulated. All they say is "tracing wire, or other detectible tracing media"

I would assume 13.3.4.2 goes into the proper detail about what is required as a "tracing wire".

I imagine a bare wire could easily lose its correct tracing ability by being in wet soil, or passing by some other pipes that would give false readings....
I've also NEVER seen an un-coated tracer wire.
The ones I always see look like a standard romex 14/2 with only the white wire used as the tracer.