CO in New Construction

Started by Admin, January 26, 2015, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

No one likes getting an afterhours call for CO.  I was just involved in a CO call that seems to have been caused by underground blasting.  The furnace was red tagged but it was only producing 3 PPM at the ventor motor.  The person who red tagged it was concerned with 15 PPM around the p-trap.  The CO was actually coming up from the ground around the ABS drain pipe.  There was enough of a gap around the ABS drain pipe and the concrete floor to allow CO to enter.  This was an interesting call but not so interesting at 4am, considering there were no problems with my gas equipment.  :-\

Here's a publication from the CDC,

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-122/

QuoteDHHS (NIOSH) Publication Number 98-122

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause illness and death by asphyxiation. Although the toxicity of CO is understood, occupational CO exposure can occur from unrecognized sources. In a recent incident, three cases of CO poisoning in a confined space, including one fatality, were caused by CO migrating through soil after nearby use of explosives.

A municipal sewer project involved the installation of new pipes and manholes. Explosive blasts were used to break up rock layers 6 feet below the surface before excavating pipeline trenches and manhole pits. On the day of the fatality, a construction crew installed a 12-foot-deep manhole without incident. After the crew left the area, 265 pounds of nitroglycerin-based explosive in 20 boreholes, each 18 feet deep, were detonated 40-60 feet from the manhole. A worker who entered the manhole 45 minutes after the explosion collapsed within minutes, and two coworkers descended into the manhole to rescue him. One rescuer retrieved the unconscious worker before collapsing on the surface, and the other rescuer died in the manhole. All involved construction workers had elevated blood levels of carboxyhemoglobin indicating they had inhaled air containing high CO concentrations.

An investigation determined that carbon monoxide released from the explosion had migrated through the soil into the manhole. CO concentrations in the bottom of the manhole 2 days after the incident were 1,905 parts per million (ppm), well above the immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) concentration of 1,200 ppm. Tests following ventilation of the manhole showed that high levels of CO reappeared as a result of continued diffusion from the surrounding soil. Subsequent monitoring of the manhole showed a decline in CO levels over the next 8 days.

This incident illustrates that CO from subsurface detonations of explosives can migrate underground and accumulate in confined spaces. This report is apparently the first occupational fatality from this type of CO exposure, though nonfatal CO poisonings have been reported in residential basements following nearby use of subsurface explosives.

This incident also involved a "chain-reaction" death, a well-known danger associated with confined space rescues. Chain-reaction deaths are so named because after the first victim is found in a confined space, a rescuer enters without proper precautions and is overcome, a subsequent rescuer enters and is likewise overcome, and so on. Chain-reaction rescuer fatalities have accounted for 36% of the deaths in confined spaces.
Recommendations For Prevention

CO from Blasting Explosives

Blasting contractors should collaborate with other contractors working in the job area to reduce the possibility of CO exposure to employees and surrounding residents. The blasting industry should develop materials to educate workers and managers about the possibility of CO exposures associated with surface blasting and precautions that can be taken to minimize CO exposures. Training should include discussions about the possibility of CO migration through soil. The material safety data sheets provided with explosives used in surface blasting should indicate that CO is among the hazardous gases produced by detonation.
Confined Space Hazards

Although this incident involved a previously unrecognized CO source, the death and hospitalizations might have been prevented by recognizing the hazards associated with confined spaces and by using appropriate control measures. Construction employers should ensure that proper confined space training is provided to employees, and that proper procedures are used before entry into any confined space. All manholes should be considered confined spaces with potentially hazardous atmospheres, and appropriate air monitoring should be conducted before each entry into a manhole, as well as during worker occupancy. Even if appropriate monitoring had been conducted earlier in the day, the fatality might have occurred if the manhole had not been monitored for CO after the blasting.
Acknowledgments

The principal contributors to this publication are: John A. Decker, Lon Santis, Scott Deitchman, Jerome P. Flesch, and Rosmarie T. Hagedorn.

Porcupinepuffer

I saw your original post :P  ... I guess someone is going to follow-up with some post test results to see if this CO reading has gone away?
Pretty interesting read; I had never heard of this before. If work ever picks back up, I'll run it by the others and see if they've ever came across it.

Admin

Yah this started Friday and Enbridge went back Saturday and could still find small amounts of CO around the plumbing stack.  The TSSA was on site today and there was no CO to be found.

bster352

What reading did you get at 4 AM?

Admin

At my furnace vent termination I was only getting 3 PPM.  Same reading inside the ventor motor port, at the furnace so I knew it wasn't a furnace problem.  The tankless water heater and gas stove were not being used.

In the basement I measured 15 PPM around the floor drain area.

Outside on the front porch I measured 18 PPM.  I thought there was something wrong with my meter because I was standing outside getting readings.  I actually lowered my reading by sticking the probe inside the furnace vent termination, which was running.  It would lower to 3 PPM, but as soon as I pulled the probe out the CO readings would rise.  Then I started taking more readings outside and noticed it was inside electrical conduit and other drainage pipes.  This was on a new construction site so there were alot of roughed in pipes for future houses.  The CO was definitely coming from the ground and there was enough of it that I was reading 18 PPM outside in an open area.  There were no onsite generators running at that time.