Gas meter vent distance to bathroom exhaust fan

Started by Skrider, July 23, 2015, 03:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skrider

Hello, we are having a bathroom put in our basement. My question is in regards to the distance between where the bathroom fan can exhaust to the outside and the distance to the vent on the gas meter.  I was told by our plumber that it has to be 3' but I am unsure if that is 3' horizontally or just 3'?  The ideal location (most of the joist bays above our bathroom have air intakes or exhausts for the furnace, a exterior water tap and a sump pump discharge) would be only 18" laterally but up high enough that the distance from the vent is close to 4'.  I can't go farther than that as the bay on the next side is full of electrical and wiring entering the house.

Thanks

Porcupinepuffer

The vent relief opening is where you measure 3' from.  Picture a big circle leaving the vent relief with a distance of 3' in any direction. If you're inside the circle, you're too close. If outside the circle, you're good to go.
If I'm reading it correctly in the way you're describing it, you're good.

Skrider

Sounds good.  That's what I meant.  Thanks!

Admin

Clause 8.14.8(d) pertains to gas exhaust vents.  I don't know of any codes preventing a bath fan exhaust from being installed 4' above the regulator. I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Monitor it in the winter, the only concern would be with moisture and ice forming on the regulator or gas meter.

QuoteA vent shall not terminate
(d) above a regulator within 3 ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical centreline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m);

QuoteVent — that portion of a venting system designed to convey flue gases directly to the outdoors from either a vent connector or an appliance when a vent connector is not used.

Skrider

I think I read this differently and might have confused things.  Does a bathroom fan count as a vent?  Or is it just a fresh air opening?

The way I read that it says that a vent cannot be within three feet on either side of the regulator, up to 15'.  So rather than a 3' radius circle, it's a 6'x15' rectangle?   Am I reading that wrong?

Admin

The bathroom exhaust vent is not considered a vent in the Gas Code.

But you're right, if it were a gas vent you would follow the 6' x 15' rectangle rule.

Skrider

Ok, I understand now.  I saw a diagram also and it made sense.  Thanks for spelling it out!  That saves me having to go through a bunch of floor joists. 

bigdick

This is another question about separation of gas and electric lines in same trench for a standby generator

Admin

I have seen both electrical wiring and underground gas pipe sharing the same trench and do not know of any codes preventing that.

Attavior

That's covered by the z662, which is the code the gas distribution company follows for everything installed before the meter.  As your install is after the meter and is covered by the b149, the z662 doesn't apply, but the best practices do.  Make sure they are separated and have good sand around both.  The exact distances I do not rember, but I will look up and get back to you.  (I am thinking it's 3 - 6 inches)

Rob867

Agree with Attavior's logic 100% -- Going back on the bathroom exhaust, at Union Gas we observe zero clearance to service reg reliefs. *Hope this helps Cheers.