Propane Line Pressure Regulator

Started by Porcupinepuffer, December 19, 2017, 11:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupinepuffer

I was just going through the codebook and noticed 5.1.4.

I never remembered this code before, but it caught my eye because I can relate it to some propane jobs I've done.

Based on the definition, I'm assuming the line pressure regulator would have to be the second stage regulator when we're doing a propane job and we step down with two separate regs? I have found myself entering the dwelling at 9 or 10' above ground (to enter a garage and be safe and legal for vehicle protection) and I install this regulator at an appropriate height for service outside.

I know for a fact that my regulator was not within 3' of where it enters... Trying to make it meet this code would make for a pretty goofy install and I can't really understand the logic behind such a rule.

Has anyone had to deal with this, or have any further insight?

Admin

I think Clause 5.1.4 refers to a regulator installed within (indoors).  In your case you installed the regulator outside so this Clause would not apply.  They probably want to reduce the amount of gas pipe indoors if it's carrying high pressure propane.

QuoteClause 5.1.4 - For applications using propane, a line pressure regulator installed within a one- or two-family dwelling or row housing shall not be located more than 3 ft (1 m) from the point where the propane supply enters the dwelling.

QuoteClause 5.2.1.5 - A line pressure regulator shall have
(a) a manual shut-off valve installed upstream of the regulator; and
(b) either a line relief device or an overpressure protection device. The regulator vent and relief device vent shall terminate outdoors.

QuoteLine pressure regulator — a gas pressure regulator intended for installation in a gas distribution system between the utility service regulator or 2 psi propane regulator and gas utilization equipment.

slo-115

100% certian it refers to when a reg is installed inside rhe building. Which no one does anymore, some old lp systems have indoor regs.

Porcupinepuffer

Ok good. That theory makes sense. It's just such a vague description for a regulator and there's really not much information on it. Maybe I'd find more in the propane storage and handling.