Mounting Brackets - where to get these?

Started by G.P., February 28, 2018, 05:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.P.

Does anyone know which supplier carries these mounting brackets? 

Admin

I buy threaded rod and struts from Noble Trade.

G.P.

Thanks admin, Noble is my main supplier as well. 
I like the convenience of these brackets and as far as I know, Noble does not carry them.

Admin

Here's some part numbers they had just quoted me.

NoDIY

G.P.

I'll try to get my hands on one to take a closer picture of them.  They are like "u" shape plate with 5 holes in them. 
4 smaller ones for your screws into the metal inside ceiling and the last one on the bottom of the "u" shape so you can put the rod through with a lock nut and hang heaters/pipes etc.
They do not penetrate the roof.

chewy

In my opinion they look home made. Very easy to make with thick sheet metal. Just cut out a couple of rectangles and drill holes then bend. eezy peezy. Quite ingenious really.

bster352

Quote from: chewy on February 28, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
In my opinion they look home made. Very easy to make with thick sheet metal. Just cut out a couple of rectangles and drill holes then bend. eezy peezy. Quite ingenious really.

I definitely agree. Sasco does not have something like that in there catalogue.

Sergroum

Hrm. Can these truly reliably hold a unit heater?  How about a Heating/AC Packaged units? Those things are heavy.

chewy

If you make these brackets with a heavier gauge steel. I am sure they'll hold just about anything.

G.P.

They are a pretty heavy gauge steel.  Definitely not sheet metal type brackets.  I believe they are custom made though. . . I haven't had any luck with gas or electrical suppliers. . .

Admin

So the other side of that metal is not the roof?  It looks like they screwed into what would be open channels on the roof.  Does water or snow not collect in those channels?  This is what NoDIY was talking about.

G.P.

No they do not penetrate the roof.  Those channels are hollow.  From what I understand, there is a plank/roof tar that sits on top of them and these are air gaps in those voids. The builders have screwed roof drains, plumbing pipes and sprinklers into these for support.  I am sure if I were to use a 3" screw and go upwards, it would penetrate the waterproofing but the way these screws mount, they are parallel to the roof right into that dip and not upwards towards the roof.

rmuntz

I think it's safe to say that these are custom made which leads to the problem that they are probably not engineered. If something was to fall and somebody got hurt, Diamond&Diamond would have a field day.

G.P.

I haven't taken on any commercial projects yet so wanted to know what mounting options we have.  These would have been convenient but better be safe than sorry. Unistruts it is.
Cheers!