HELP Venting Clearance question new HE furnace installed

Started by Jester24, June 17, 2018, 11:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester24

Hi,

I been looking at the Rheem furnace book and on line. The hvac contractor seemed good and knows his stuff.

My intake and exhaust are close to the AC unit out side. Also air intake is only 2.5 ft from electric dryer vent. From my knowledge and research I find it should be 3' from dryer and ac unit for air intake. 1 ft or 12 inch from any opening window

I am in Ontario Canada for code any help or verification would be great.

I attached photos. The last photo is where I feel the air intake should be which would be 3' from dryer 3' from ac unit fan and 12inch from a open window.

Is it fine now or should I change air intake. The exhaust doest concern me as much as we don't run the AC and Furnace heat at the same time lol.

Left pipe is exhaust Right is intake

Thanks for any input

Admin

There's no clearance required to the AC from the exhaust vent.  You just don't want the exhaust hitting the AC which can cause parts to corrode.  Yours looks fine.

You do need 3' from the furnace intake to the dryer vent.  You measure from the left side of the dryer vent to the right side of the intake.  It looks like you would have to snorkle both vents up higher.  Or if the furnace allows horizontal separation you could snorkle the intake vent over sideways.  If by chance you had a seperate fresh air supply already you could one pipe the furnace and eliminate the intake if the manual allows a non direct vent installation.

Jester24

hi thanks, so if I just extend both up wards so they have a 3'  clearance they would be OK?  I am the home owner and pretty handy and not a crazy fix. I attached another photo

Sergroum

Only worry is that if you're going to raise intake, you will need to raise exhaust as well. And if exhaust is a certain distance in the unheated space (outside is unheated) it should be insulated.

Admin

Yes, I would extend the intake there.  Like Sergroum says the exhaust vent will also need to be extended above the intake, and insulated with armaflex.  It looks like you will still have 12" from the window if the exhaust is raised.

Check the manual though because some manufacturers wouldn't require insulation if the oustide venting were below a certain length, based on the model and size of the furnace.

Sergroum

10 bucks, the reason why the installer doesnt have the clearance to begin with, was him trying to keep exhaust pipe within the length that doesnt  require insulation.  He snorkeled anyway, why wouldnt he snorkeled it the necessary height, if not for the lack of on-hand armaflex.