Pvc exhaust flue screen ???

Started by wantboost, July 05, 2018, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

I've seen two types of screens ones like a mesh the other is large wide grill . I guess to block birds. 
The screen type blocks exhaust and causes issues. 
.  Is the other type that blocks birds a good idea to have ?
G2

Admin

Yes, flue gas recirculation sometimes causes problems in the winter on vents with screens.  Some appliances come with plastic screens, and you have to install the correct one based on venting length.  I would read the installation manual.  Modying the screens could affect the pressure switch.

For example the Lennox EL296XE manual says,

QuoteDo not use screens or perforated metal in exhaust or intake terminations. Doing so will cause freeze-ups and may block the terminations.

The Building Code does say that all intake and exhaust vents outside must be fitted with a screen with openings not larger than 15mm, and only dryer vents are exempt.  The Building Inspector seems to accept what the appliance installation manual says and does not enforce screens.

wantboost

If not putting any. What's the chances of bird rodent etc  coming in ?

Is this the ones that are ok . Ie 15mm

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3-inches-termination-vent-screen.1000655633.html
G2

NoDIY

slim to non..

in 20 years i have seen a birds nest once inside a carrier and sandwich bag in a pulse muffler once....

wantboost

Alright I wont out one then

Quote from: NoDIY on July 05, 2018, 11:03:33 PM
slim to non..

in 20 years i have seen a birds nest once inside a carrier and sandwich bag in a pulse muffler once....
G2

walker

I've found - rocks, golf balls, peanut shells, acorns, plastic bags in intake pipes.  rocks and golf balls were from kids, peanuts, acorns, nuts were from chipmunks, and plastic bag was just a fluke.

wantboost

Wow lol maybe I should . It's a rental property.  Is the one I showed in the link the proper one?
G2

Admin

That IPEX screen has openings smaller than 15mm so it would satisfy the Building Code.  Just make sure the appliance manual does not say you can't install a screen.

Hvacpimp

Just keep in mind that if the screen openings are too small, in the winter time when the condensation from the exhaust freezes up it could act like a barrier and screw with the pressure switch. I've seen it happen.