Max allowable roof height for mounting NG rooftops

Started by ruslanvremea, May 23, 2019, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruslanvremea

Hi everyone,
Does anybody know where I can find any general information about the requirements for the rooftop mounting on the roof, especially the maximal allowed height of the roof for natural gas installation?
Thanks a lot,
Ruslan

harshal

NoDIY

In your code book

13ft and higher requires permanent fixed access
26ft and higher a stairway access to roof

ruslanvremea

Quote from: NoDIY on May 23, 2019, 08:17:55 PM
In your code book

13ft and higher requires permanent fixed access
26ft and higher a stairway access to the roof

Thanks for the hint.
But I'm not actually from this industry, and I could not identify what certain CODE BOOK you meaning((
The truth is that a loyal customer of ours asked us to find all the restrictions regarding maximal allowable building height for installing of the rooftops, boiler rooms and natural gas piping for them both.

Attavior

B149.1.  Natural gas and propane installation code.

ruslanvremea

Quote from: Attavior on May 25, 2019, 09:01:48 AM
B149.1.  Natural gas and propane installation code.

Yeah, I finally find this requirement. But it seems that this particular case refers only to the service access aspects to appliances, and not consider other aspects like safety, fire protection, heat power and so on.
I think there must be a code or some codes that regulate maximally allowable gas pressure pipe to mount on a roof and some strict requirement regarding the maximally allowable height of that roof or the maximal number of stories if the case.
Thanks.

Admin

You have to size the gas piping once you know the BTU load, supply pressure and length of pipe.

The TSSA released Advisory FS-149-09 and Advisory FS-151-09 Rev 1 even though they both seem to be identical.  They released an unrelated Director' s Order FS-149-09 so it's possible they renamed the Advisory to avoid confusion.  You can download both Here

The Ontario Building Code refers you to Section 3.6.

Quote6.2.5. Heating Appliances, General 6.2.5.1. Location of Appliances
(1) Except for appliances installed in dwelling units, fuel-fired heating appliances shall be located, enclosed or separated from the remainder of the building in conformance with Section 3.6.

6.2.5.2. Appliances Installed Outside the Building
(1) Fuel-fired appliances installed outside a building shall be,
(a) designed and constructed for outdoor use,
(b) installed not less than 1 200 mm from the property line, measured horizontally, and
(c) installed not less than 3 m from an adjacent wall of the same building when such wall contains an opening or openings within 3 storeys above and 5 m horizontally from the appliance, unless such openings are protected by a closure assembly having a 45 min fire-protection rating determined in conformance with Article 3.1.8.4., or by wired glass conforming to Article 3.1.8.14.

NoDIY

Here are some codes on pressures and roof piping.

ruslanvremea

Quote from: NoDIY on June 03, 2019, 08:57:54 PM
Here are some codes on pressures and roof piping.

Thanks for the screenshots.
I still can't believe that there are no limitations about the elevation of the natural gas installations, but altitude certificate, ladder access, gas pressure and BTU, in a building considering even fire resistance of the structure, building's destination, available fire protection systems and so on((

Attavior

I am thinking some of those other details your looking for are covered under another code or building design.  For example any residential new builds follow the building code for fire protection if it's required for that build.  This requirement is the same regardless of what has been installed for heating systems.