Coil placement in electric furnace

Started by Porcupinepuffer, August 14, 2019, 05:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupinepuffer

I've searched and searched and haven't found any code stating an a/c coil cannot be downstream (supply) on an electric furnace. I've had some tell me it is always required to be on the return side of an electric furnace because if the coil should freeze up or leak, it won't leak on the electric elements... While that theory obviously makes sense, a coil isn't supposed to leak in the first place. I know it's not allowed on a heat pump, but I'm talking just a standard a/c.

Just curious if I'm missing something.

Admin

There's no Code that I know of.  Here's a post I found,

https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=1037.msg8982#msg8982

With ICP, when they place the coil on the return side in the down flow position, there would be a chance water could leak onto the elements.

What is the model of the electric furnace?

I agree with you, there should be no reason a coil cannot be installed on top of an electric furnace above electric elements.  The elements would not be energized during cooling.

We can't install coils on the return side of most gas furnaces because everyone thinks a coil that removes moisture will somehow cause the heat exchanger to rust.  Why then would a coil on the return side of an electric furnace not cause the elements to rust?

Porcupinepuffer