contactor

Started by rahh, August 25, 2007, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rahh

My contactor on my AC unit is not functioning properly. I removed the cover & pushed the button & the button still has plenty of spring.
If I manually push in the button the unit tackes right off.
Is there something I can do to get this working until Monday when I can get another. Also if I let the unit run with the contactor held in & running will it hurt the unit. ???
Thanks for your time.
Rahh

Aardvark

It may not be a problem with the contactor.

What is the age make and model of the A/C and furnace?

Is there 24volts across the contactor when the t-stat calls for cooling?

Don't replace the contactor until you test these first.

I wouldn't recommend forcing the contactor in.

Good luck

rahh

It is a Coleman Evcon Heat Pump & is 8 yrs. old.
There is not 24 volts across the contactor.
Thans,
Rahh

Aardvark

Hi Rahn

If you set the t-stat to cool and lower the temp does the furnace blower fan come on?

If not; check for power at the furnace. Check the breaker and the wall switch for the furnace.

Cheers

rahh

The inside unit does come on. I had a loose connection on my low voltage red. I corrected that & I have 27 volts acroos the contactor. However the contactor still not kick in.
Thank You
Rahh

TECH X

If you do have 24V accross the contactor coil, then it should pull in.  There may be a low ambient switch, low or high pressure switch that interupts your 24V.  If your are measuring 24V accross the coil itself, then it looks like it's bad.

Check to see if your contactor is a single pole or double pole, and replace it.

acefurnacefixer

Quote from: rahh on August 25, 2007, 06:52:06 PM
My contactor on my AC unit is not functioning properly. I removed the cover & pushed the button & the button still has plenty of spring.
If I manually push in the button the unit tackes right off.
Is there something I can do to get this working until Monday when I can get another. Also if I let the unit run with the contactor held in & running will it hurt the unit. ???
Thanks for your time.
Rahh

If your contactor is not pulling in, then trace backwards from that point................but you can eliminate alot just buy jumping out the t stat.

ProTemp

Sounds like to me your heat pump should be converted to a/c only. This will eliminate all the heat pump controls entirely. If you can get the heat pump to operate in a/c mode only by converting most likely the problem was with the heat pump controls. It can be a nightmare of wiring madness when it comes to heat pumps. Try to simplify your repair. Does your friend use the heat pump to heat his home or just for a/c.? Most heat pumps have emergency heat for back up cause the heat pump shutts down at -5 c or 25 deg F. The actual converting is very basic....if you need to know how its done let me know.....Tech_288