construction heat

Started by oldguy2, December 21, 2008, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy2

was wondering if you can still use a gas furnace as a construction heater to heat the basement while the house is under construction. i own the 2000 gas code book and it says you can as long as its on a poured concreate base. the builder has an older furnace which he wants me to hook up temperarely this furnace wont be the furnace in the house when its completed. not sure what the code changes are having an older copy of the gas code ty if you reply

Admin

The furnaces I sell can be installed horizontally, so if there is no foundation poured I would simply hang the furnace from the joists temporarily.

Let me get back to you on some specifics regarding the duct work.  I just have to find some notes to refer to.

Sounds like in your example you should have no problem installing the old gas furnace to provide temporary heat.

Zzz

I would give the gas inspector a call on that one because that furnace was not intended for that purpose and if by any chance you have a fire, you could loose all.

Admin

As long as the appliance is approved, age doesn't matter.  The venting and gas pipe would have to be installed to code.  The gas company will come unlock the meter.  They will test the gas piping, and do a visual inspection on everything else.

Here are a couple related documents from TSSA regarding new construction,

Download Suspending Construction Heaters Regulatory Bulletin - Here

Download Director's Advisory FS-095-06 - Supplying Propane at Construction Sites - Here

scottnet2

As long as it says in the manufactures instruction that it can be used... also it must be installed to code and have ductwork connected to it.  I work for the gas utility and do the meter installs/turn-ons/inspections.  the exhaust vent must be installed to code as well, otherwise we just infract the install and leave the meter locked off.