TSSA VS CFIB - Attention Ontario Contractors

Started by Admin, June 11, 2009, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

It seems that the The Technical Standards & Safety Authority has become a target of The Canadian Federation Of Independent Business.

Below are excerpts from a document sent to the Hon. Harinder Takhar, Minister of Small Business and Consumer Services, on behalf of the CFIB.  You can read the full document - Here

QuoteWe believe that the TSSA should be eliminated as a separate agency and that its regulatory activities should be brought back into a ministry of the Ontario government. In the meantime we have a number of interim recommendations.

QuoteWe believe that the TSSA regulatory model is inherently defective for four reasons:
1. TSSA's mandate is too broad
2. TSSA is not adequately accountable to the Government of Ontario nor are its activities subject to adequate oversight.
3. TSSA fee for service practices are highly questionable.
4. There is inadequate representation of small businesses in TSSA's governance and stakeholder activities.

QuoteIt is clear from the Sunrise Propane tragedy that the general public holds the Government of Ontario, not the TSSA, responsible for its protection. It behooves the Government of Ontario to eliminate its dependency on what is virtually an arms length agency.

QuoteInterim Recommendation: The TSSA should be directed to cease its regulatory activities in the area of refrigeration and all regulatory authority in this area should be withdrawn.

You can download the TSSA Fuels Fee Schedule - Here.  They are raising the fees effective November 1, 2009.

QuoteThe TSSA engages in two highly questionable fee practices.

We have been asked to collect information from Ontario contractors and workers, whom are registered or licensed with the TSSA, to share any negative experiences you may have had with the agency.  You can send a private message - Here.  

Please include as much detail as possible.  These complaints should include such things as, poor customer service, unfair or unjust inspectors and rulings, or overall dissatisfaction with the agency.  I have heard from many dissatisfied contractors regarding TSSA.  All complaints and concerns will be compiled and sent to the Minister of Small Business and Consumer Services, for further review.

On a related matter, you can view Bill 187, Technical Standards and Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2009 - Here

Feel free to vote - Here

TECH X

There isin't enough space on my computer to document every bad experience I've had with TSSA.  And I'm someone who has never been investigated, nor have I ever forgotten to pay my dues!
PM sent. 

God Bless Judith Andrew!

thegasman

I couldn't agree more.  I have contacted TSSA several times in the last year about getting in the faces of other construction contractors for infractions that they are creating.  One example is a contractor that built a deck enclosing the furnace vent/ combustion air inlet and the water heater vent as well as both vents for an HRV all under that deck.  I found it because the homeowner called for no heat service, which with no surprise was the inlet, was iced over.  Both the TSSA and the municipality didn't care.  My most resent was when I reported a person in an unmarked van doing HVAC work.  Again nothing has been done.  This guy still gets in his van every day and goes to work with no interference.  If you or me did this we'd be raked over the coals if for nothing else but the TSSA fees. So I agree that TSSA needs to be put out of its misery.

heanssgen

MARKVAN

This is from my experience being in the Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning trade the most absurd agency I've ever encountered. 11 yrs ago, I started my own HVAC business... Over the first few years, Union Gas gave us infractions when and where we had a mistake made and or needed addressing for a specific infraction. THIS WAS A PAINLESS PROCEDURE. Customer informed us and was usually remedied within 2 days. NOW... If an issue arises from TSSA being called or emailed in, well we have had for the first few years...Driving time costs for the inspector, at $135/hr... This amounted to nearly $1,000.00 in just one visit as the nearest inspector was a 3 hr drive time alone!!! My company has been given orders to cease and desist for over 10 months while the billing was in question and that the complaint was frivolous and subsequently dropped completely. As a result after that incident I have had not one good dealing with TSSA since that time. The non profit is an absolute insult to all non profit organizations everywhere. Their mandate is to bill, bill, bill, as much as possible. I have had nothing good or positive said by anyone in our industry of Fuel/Oil, Gas fitters, period. All have said that they're doing not a single thing for the public safety, just writing orders at $135/hr, although now no more charging for driving time, their billing department sent my company bills for over 2 yrs after our settlement and bill was withdrawn as a result. The story is so very long with many more instances of abuse, corruption, inspector incompetence, lack of knowledge, etc...

MARKVAN

This is from my experience being in the Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning trade the most absurd agency I've ever encountered. 11 yrs ago, I started my own HVAC business... Over the first few years, Union Gas gave us infractions when and where we had a mistake made and or needed addressing for a specific infraction. THIS WAS A PAINLESS PROCEDURE. Customer informed us and was usually remedied within 2 days. NOW... If an issue arises from TSSA being called or emailed in, well we have had for the first few years...Driving time costs for the inspector, at $135/hr... This amounted to nearly $1,000.00 in just one visit as the nearest inspector was a 3 hr drive time alone!!! My company has been given orders to cease and desist for over 10 months while the billing was in question and that the complaint was frivolous and subsequently dropped completely. As a result after that incident I have had not one good dealing with TSSA since that time. The non profit is an absolute insult to all non profit organizations everywhere. Their mandate is to bill, bill, bill, as much as possible. I have had nothing good or positive said by anyone in our industry of Fuel/Oil, Gas fitters, period. All have said that they're doing not a single thing for the public safety, just writing orders at $135/hr, although now no more charging for driving time, their billing department sent my company bills for over 2 yrs after our settlement and bill was withdrawn as a result. The story is so very long with many more instances of abuse, corruption, inspector incompetence, lack of knowledge, etc...

Admin

The alternative would be having the Ontario College of Trades take over.  That would surely result in fee increases but at least my membership would cover my refrigeration and gas certificates.

It's about time gas fitters became a recognized trade in Ontario.

I'm more upset with the HRAI who charges us for useless ODP certification and regardless of what they say, the HRAI does not send me updates as a 313D certificate holder.  Why do wholesalers require an ODP card to purchase R-410A when it's not classified as a Class 1 ozone depleting substance?  After reading Ontario Regulation 463/10, I do not see anything that suggests an ODP card is required to purchase R-410A refrigerant.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Admin on July 14, 2015, 09:36:19 AM
  Why do wholesalers require an ODP card to purchase R-410A when it's not classified as a Class 1 ozone depleting substance?  After reading Ontario Regulation 463/10, I do not see anything that suggests an ODP card is required to purchase R-410A refrigerant.

If my memory serves me correctly, the teacher at HiMark mentioned this and said you don't require ODP to purchase 410a.

Admin

Here's a reply from the government of Ontario,

QuoteR410A is a combination of R32 and R125 which are halocarbons regulated by O. Reg. 463/10. Under the definition of "halocarbon" in O. Reg. 463/10 clause (w) states:
(w) any mixture that contains any of the substances listed in the preceding clauses.

This means that you must have an ODP card to purchase R410A.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Porcupinepuffer

Oh come on. A teacher couldn't have been wrong   ;D