Author Topic: Hoyme Damper  (Read 6064 times)

Offline bismark

  • ***
  • Posts: 1
Hoyme Damper
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
I've received some quotes for a new High Efficiency Furnance - a Lennox G61MPV or a Carrier 58MVB60 Infinity.  I really have no idea which one is better. I'm getting mixed reviews from the sales reps as to whether I should install a Hoyme Damper with the new furnace.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  (I'm only learning about furnances so please don't get too technical on me).

Offline Admin

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 2501
Re: Hoyme Damper
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
Either furnace is good, I prefer the Lennox G61V.
I would get the installer to install the furnace as a direct vent, which means there is an intake and exhaust pipe.  Then there would be no need for a combustion air pipe or Hoyme damper.  I'm assuming the Hoyme damper is being used on the existing combustion air pipe.  If your existing water heater is over 50,000 btus then the combustion air pipe would have to stay, and the use of a Hoyme damper would increase your homes effeciency.