purging verusus flushing or replacing line sets R410A

Started by Brad, July 08, 2010, 09:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

I know of a guy that`s just purging the existing line set  not flushing it, then is installing  new R410 units .
on them.
I change the line set !   does this guy know some thing I don`t  or is he looking for trouble do you think !

what`s your thoughts  on it

thanks 
           Brad 

rmuntz

Basically, it's the residual oil in the old line set that you need to make sure is removed.
In my opinion, if its any easy remove and replace i would go that route; if you have to remove 50' of finished ceiling to replace it i would flush it.

Admin

Copper is porous, it will retain mineral oil from the R22.  When you convert to 410A, you should always replace the lineset.  Usually the 410 system uses a bigger suction line too.  In the case of finished ceilings I can usually run a lineset anywhere making 2 or 3 holes in the ceiling.  They can be covered easily with white spring caps from home depot, unless the client wants to pay to have the drywall patched.  If the client does not wish to open the ceiling then I would just purge with nitrogen and install a drier at the evaporator.  Alot of manufacturer's don't recommend a RX11 flush.

Brad

why don`t the manufactures like the R11 flush  ?  one would think it would be better than just using nitrogen/

me up till now I have been replacing line sets and will continue to

just wondering

thanks
                 Brad

Admin

I can't seem to find the bulletin I had from Trane or American Standard, it was from years ago.  They said using chemical agents would void their compressor warranty.  I think some manufacturer's had problems with people misusing the chemicals to clean the lines.  Now I see most manufacturers allow RX11 as long as the instructions are followed.  It looks like using the RX11 flush is okay to use, but a new lineset could prevent problems down the road.  Let's face it, most people that re-use linesets do it to save time, and probably only flush with nitrogen.

Brad

you know I agree

thats why I am going to keep replacing  the line sets as often as possible    I don`t need  some thing like that coming back to haunt me

thanks for the reply
Brad