looking to get experience in the trade

Started by japa, November 04, 2014, 02:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japa

I got my G2 license on July 2014 since then I have been sending resumes from small to big companies but all of them are looking for experience technicians, I've applied as a helper positions but have not been successful. I would like to know how or where can I get help or any resources in order to get a stable job. I have been working on and off as a helper installing furances, a/c, gas line pipes,  but I am on call which I need to find something consistent.  I live in Toronto but willing to work in GTA.

Mat

I experienced the same issue. No one wants to pay you to learn how to install and service natural gas. Learning sometimes means messing up and there's no messups allowed in gas service. I had some success with the smaller shops, one that specialized in water heaters or pool heaters. Look for companies that do the dirty crap that no one wants to be honest, I didn't want to be lugging water heaters out of basements for 8-12 hours a day but I was ready and willing. Unfortunately they didn't hire me at the water heater place but thankfully my close personal friend was employed with a small hvac/r company that specialized in commercial restaurant equipment. They were dropping a rooftop and needed a third since someone bailed. I told my renovation boss that I had to take the day off and worked the first day for the small mechanical company absolutely free just to show how interested I was. It worked and I spent a great year doing service in the greater toronto area working my bag off and driving all over hell's half acre. All I'm going to say is that we maintained a TON of refrigeration units and my boss didn't allow us to dilute the coil cleaner. Still have scars. (outdoor use only at 10-1 ratio? try full strength in a tiny attic 5 inches from your face)

Anyway just keep trying at it brother, you'll get there. HVAC/R is THE HARDEST TRADE. I don't care who you are or what you do. If you excel at it you'll be fishing in your new bass boat and paying off the cottage in no time!

So yeah. Ask everyone you know, maybe someone has a dad in the industry already. Maybe their dad's company is looking for apprentices to drive all over hell's half acre cleaning greasy disgusting refrigeration coils and rusty hot water heaters. I had a lot of fun changing belts and filters on rooftops and I learned more in 1 year of hvac than I have in many many other jobs.

The only difference between success and failure in the industry is persistence. keep at it.

Oh yeah and that first year I was taught on a sink or swim basis. It was the hardest money I've ever made.

nash668

Quote from: Mat on December 10, 2014, 10:31:38 PM
I experienced the same issue. No one wants to pay you to learn how to install and service natural gas. Learning sometimes means messing up and there's no messups allowed in gas service. I had some success with the smaller shops, one that specialized in water heaters or pool heaters. Look for companies that do the dirty crap that no one wants to be honest, I didn't want to be lugging water heaters out of basements for 8-12 hours a day but I was ready and willing. Unfortunately they didn't hire me at the water heater place but thankfully my close personal friend was employed with a small hvac/r company that specialized in commercial restaurant equipment. They were dropping a rooftop and needed a third since someone bailed. I told my renovation boss that I had to take the day off and worked the first day for the small mechanical company absolutely free just to show how interested I was. It worked and I spent a great year doing service in the greater toronto area working my bag off and driving all over hell's half acre. All I'm going to say is that we maintained a TON of refrigeration units and my boss didn't allow us to dilute the coil cleaner. Still have scars. (outdoor use only at 10-1 ratio? try full strength in a tiny attic 5 inches from your face)

Anyway just keep trying at it brother, you'll get there. HVAC/R is THE HARDEST TRADE. I don't care who you are or what you do. If you excel at it you'll be fishing in your new bass boat and paying off the cottage in no time!

So yeah. Ask everyone you know, maybe someone has a dad in the industry already. Maybe their dad's company is looking for apprentices to drive all over hell's half acre cleaning greasy disgusting refrigeration coils and rusty hot water heaters. I had a lot of fun changing belts and filters on rooftops and I learned more in 1 year of hvac than I have in many many other jobs.

The only difference between success and failure in the industry is persistence. keep at it.

Oh yeah and that first year I was taught on a sink or swim basis. It was the hardest money I've ever made.

Your words couldn't have been more true. Experiencing this right now.

But for the OP, just hang in there and you'll get your chance.