Author Topic: ruud acheiver super quiet 80 wont light  (Read 2439 times)

Offline pageblair

ruud acheiver super quiet 80 wont light
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:25:05 AM »
Thanks in advance.
ruud acheiver super quiet 80 wont light, it was under salt water (approx 30 inches). I replaced gas valve, induction blower and control board. System starts wont light and gives error code 2 blinks.
I used an continuity tester on all the bottom most switches and the pressure switch and all have continuity. I learned the 2 flashes means PRESSURE SWITCH.
Is the PRESSURE SWITCH likely the cause? Another question is the large blower does not spin freely with my hand. Is it likely to be seized?
I am a contractor, we have no heat as house was severally damaged from storm sandy.
John 631-383-6052

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: ruud acheiver super quiet 80 wont light
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:19 AM »
It sounds like the fan motor is seized.  Be careful, I once replaced a control board and then had a shorted fan motor blow the relay on the new control board.  I had to replace the fan motor and the control board a second time.

You said you had continuity on the pressure switch.  It may be a normally open switch that closes after the inducer blower starts.  Maybe it's stuck closed and causing the fault code.  You can disconnect the wires on the pressure swich then reconnect them after the inducer motor starts and to see if the ignition sequence starts.

There's also the possibility some of the wiring connectors are corroded and interfering with the low voltage circuit.

Here in Ontario there's a Clause in the B149.1 gas code pertaining to appliances exposed to floods,

4.5.5 An appliance that has been exposed to fire, explosion, flood, or other damage shall not
be offered for sale, installed, re-activated or reconnected to the supply, without:
(a) approval of the authority having jurisdiction; or
(b) inspection and confirmation by a Gas Technician I or II (as appropriate for the
appliance input rating) that it is fit for continued use.

Sorry to hear about your house.