Author Topic: GOODMAN A/C MODEL SSX/GSX  (Read 3337 times)

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
GOODMAN A/C MODEL SSX/GSX
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
HAS ANYONE HAS INFO REGARDING THE REFRIGERANT LEAK ON GOODMAN A/C UNIT.I CAME ACROSS SOME GOODMAN UNIT FOUND LOW ON THE CHARGE INSTALLED WITHIN LAST 5 YEARS.I HEARD THOSE HAVE ISSUED WITH THE SERVICE VALVE CAPS?HOW TO FIX THEM?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: GOODMAN A/C MODEL SSX/GSX
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »
Read the Goodman Service Valve Bulletin - Here

The new units come with a gasket inside the service valve caps.  If there's no gasket I would leak lock the threads inside the caps.

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:59 AM »
Thx for your reply.what kind of procedure u guys follow for the leak test.we usually do pressure test with nitrogen n look for the bubbles,but I found it has some flows into it.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »
I use nitrogen after an install but overall I find nitrogen is a useless way to find a small leak.  Once the AC has been activated the best method to find a leak is using a ultrasonic leak detector.

I used to cut the lineset at the indoor coil and weld the lineset together going to the outdoor unit.  Then weld a schrader port into the liquid line at the coil and pinch and weld the suction line at the indoor coil closed.  I would add 300psig to the coil then 300psig at the outdoor unit.  I would come back 24hrs later to see which coil is leaking and either sell them a new indoor coil or a new AC or repair a leak in the lineset.

A service valve leak can be an intermittent leak which is hard to find.  Some indoor coils have a schrader valve that the installer may not have removed before welding.  It could also be a hard leak to find.

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
Sometimes i do the same procedure but most of the time after replacing the A-coil.but would u give info what kind of sonic detector is useful once the system is activated?

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
Any takers for the ultra sonic leak detector?I want to buy it for the next year?any advice?