Author Topic: Threaded plugs legal in natural gas piping systems?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Mat

Threaded plugs legal in natural gas piping systems?
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
Hi there, I'm a G2 holder and am currently working as a second year plumber's apprentice (less stress) But I've come across a few plugs in our gas piping systems and have replaced them all with caps and nipples as I thought I should (Following Ontario's b149.1 code book) or so it seemed. I couldn't find anything on plugs being Illegal in the code book I found online, I'll have to dig through the truck and find the hard copy tomorrow. Are plugs legal in gas? Why am I thinking that they aren't.. Was it just some old answer from a dated code book on an old practice exam I read somewhere? Am I imagining things? Am I losing my mind? All valid questions at this point. It's not too uncommon for plumbing fittings being manufactured and being totally legal in plumbing but not gas (such as close nipples). Though it's clear that plugs are legal in propane. Perhaps it's when you're installing a new piping system and have to leave a live end open.. Maybe you have to have a cap and plugs aren't allowed in this case..

Can Anyone help shed some light on this before I i have to go re-read my codebook cover to cover? :-\

Also bonus points if anyone can explain what a "jersey loop" is.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Threaded plugs legal in natural gas piping systems?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »
Clause 6.2.1 - Piping shall comply with ASTM A 53/A 53M or A 106.

Clause 6.12.1 - During the period when an appliance is not connected to an outlet of a piping system, the outlet shall be made tight by means of
(a) a plugged valve; or
(b) either a cap or plug made of material compatible with the material of the piping or tubing system.

Clause 6.18.11 - When a facility as described in Clause 6.18.10 is taken out of service, the supply of gas to the facility shall be either plugged or capped.

A plug is legal, as long as it does not have a running thread.

Clause 6.14.3 - A pipe fitting containing both left- and right-hand threads, a thread protector, or running threads shall not be used.

I've never heard of a "Jersey Loop".  Is that some sort of heat trap?  I've seen copper coils on some ABS drainpipes that are designed to capture the heat from waste water and preheat the water entering the water heater.

Offline Burnt eyebrows

• G2 Supporter
Re: Threaded plugs legal in natural gas piping systems?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
I believe a Jersey loop is a loop in a condensate line or similar line to keep it primed to prevent backflow, or to encourage siphoning? I do alot of work on hot tubs and it seems to me I came across that term somewhere in hot tub plumbing.