Author Topic: Lifebreath 155 Damper not moving  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Diabolic

Lifebreath 155 Damper not moving
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me with this. The motor on my lifebreath 155 had met its end of life so I needed to replace it. Before I did, I ran the self test procedure and noticed that the frost damper was not moving. Thinking that maybe it had something to do with the main motor being seized I continued with fixing that and ran the test again and sure enough the damper still does not move. It just hangs there limp. During the self test I can see the small motor/servo? moving inside the housing, there appears to be a little spy window on it (see picture) and you can hear it spinning, but the damper seems to be completely disconnected from the motor. Before I start moving or disconnecting things, I was hoping someone might be able to provide some trouble shooting tips on this. So just to reiterate, before I replaced the motor nothing had ever been touched in the unit (other than cleaning the filter). I saw the note not to move it manually so I made sure not to do that...until after I saw it definitely was not working.

I am assuming this constantly open port is going to be a good source of heat loss for the house so I think I'd like to get this licked asap. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Lifebreath 155 Damper not moving
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
It sounds like the damper rod or damper assembly itself is broken but the damper motor might still function.  Without the damper the defrost mode won't work.

A plastic piece that secures the rod may have broken off and you may be able to re-secure it with a tie strap.  Otherwise I would look at ordering a new damper assembly.