Natural Gas BBQ Quick Connect Help

Started by richmondhillguy, May 12, 2015, 03:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richmondhillguy

Hi - I am a homeowner. I contracted a TSSA certified installer (the guy has lots of adverts on Kijiji) to augment my 3/8 inch natural gas female quick connect by placing a T and adding a 1/2 inch natural gas connector (for my new larger BBQ). I wish to keep the 3/8 inch connector to supply my old BBQ which now becomes my "winter beater" BBQ.
The TSSA certified gas fitter came in winter - installed a T and a new female connector. He refused to hang his "Tag" saying he was not required to as he did not install the original gas line or the shutoff valve or the 3/8 inch connector.
As it was winter and I am a lay person I did not realize he simply installed a slightly different style of 3/8 inch connector, which leaves me with two 3/8" connectors and no 1/2" - and as such I can not hook up my 1/2 inch connector equipped BBQ.

When it came time to pay, the contractor would not provide a written receipt and said "cash no tax".

Now that I require a return visit for the contractor to rectify his mistake - he refuses to return, screens all calls via call display and ignores my emails.

I approached TSSA to file a complaint that the installer did not hang a "tag" and they refuse to accept the complaint.

Any suggestions how to proceed? He's giving your trade a bad name, and all I want is the proper 1/2 inch connector so I can use my BBQ.

Porcupinepuffer

This question leads to more questions. I'm curious what size of gas line leads up to your quick disconnects. Way too often the line running to the BBQ is undersized copper, especially if your BBQ is large enough to actually require the rare and larger 1/2" quick disconnect.

The guy should have still wrote a tag for it and simply labelled what he did on the tag to not have to take responsibility for the entire line. He may have been a licensed Gas Technician, but he may have been a hack and not a very good one. Not many good gas technicians take jobs off Kijiji. I have actually began hating Kijiji and all the con artists and scamming fools that are starting to overwhelm it. It's really turned into a lousy place to buy and sell. I'm assuming and hoping he charged less than $300 for what he did?

I know you said you're just a home owner, but did you notice the second quick disconnect had the same size 3/8" pipe thread entering it? Cause the 1/2" one has a fairly bigger 1/2" pipe thread entering it... These are inside diameter measurements btw.

TSSA is all about general safety, and since a BBQ line is outside and highly unlikely to cause an explosion or carbon monoxide issues to its tenants, combined with the fact he didn't leave his license number and information, I'm not surprised they're not interested in pursuing it. But it is a bit annoying since he could actually be un-licensed and stealing work from honest techs.

BiggerDIRTY

You know what home owner your wrong. the manufacturers and the consumers who want cheap cheap cheap give our trade a bad name. don't get me wrong, i feel for you, i really do but you get what you pay for. any tech would know increasing your gas pipe size will not cost you $300. More like $1500 without complications. Did the manufacturer or sales rep mention anything about your gas line? surely not ever home owner knows there pipe size suppling there Bbq and surely the home owner won't know what size pipe they need to supply there new BBQ with higher BTU requirements. But there is a middle man here. The sales rep should be forced to ask there customers what size pipe or how many BTU or what is the model number of your previous BBQ. Surely they know you have a gas line in the back yard otherwise it would be a contractor contacting them to purchase the BBQ, or the contractor would have told the consumer what questions to ask. And by contractor i mean licensed HVAC technician who's time is worth more than a quick $300 to do the job right and make sure it is safe for the home owner to use. so i am going to say your wrong, these fly by night guys are not making us look bad. how could they, they are not in the same category. Who makes us look bad is pushers and cheap customers. And that is the truth.

Old HVACr

Yep like others said " you want cheap you got cheap so you got what you deserve " don't come here and cry the blues get lost .