AC Install distances

Started by nash668, June 05, 2015, 09:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nash668

Anyone know where I can find the codes stating the distances the AC condenser has to be from fresh air, exhaust, etc. Or if you know them by heart.

Thank you!

Admin

There are no codes that I am aware of regarding clearances to the AC from exhaust vents, dryer vents, gas exhaust vents or intakes.  It's good practice to keep gas vents or dryer vents away from an AC, but not always possible.

The B149.1-10 Table 5.2 says the AC needs to be 3' from a natural gas regulator or 10' from a propane regulator.

Here in Ottawa there's a Bylaw Section 65(8) that says an AC cannot be installed in a front yard or corner side yard or within 1' from the property line, and the AC can only protrude 3' from the side of the house.

OBC Article 9.8.8.6 requires an AC be installed on a stand if installed on a balcony as it's considered a climbable hazard.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Admin on June 05, 2015, 09:46:24 AM

Here in Ottawa there's a Bylaw Section 65(8) that says an AC cannot be installed in a front yard or corner side yard or within 1' from the property line, and the AC can only protrude 3' from the side of the house.

I never knew this. That's probably about half the installs we do that don't meet building code. :-\

bigdick

OK now this is a little off topic but what about gas and electric in same trench  I have herd 12inches but none of the officials could site code no. To support their claim

Admin

I have seen both electrical wiring and underground gas pipe sharing the same trench and do not know of any codes preventing that.

airtrackinc

All ventilation air inlets located >= 10 feet of stretched-string distance from known contamination sources such as stack, vent, exhaust hood, or vehicle exhaust. Exception: ventilation air inlets in the wall >= 3 feet from dryer exhausts and contamination sources exiting through the roof.

Ventilation air inlets >= 2 feet above grade or roof deck in Climate Zones 1-3 or >= 4 feet above grade or roof deck in Climate Zones 4-8 and not obstructed by snow, plantings, condensing units or other material at time of inspection.