Author Topic: Short Circuiting  (Read 1675 times)

Offline thisislidk

Short Circuiting
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »
Hello,

I just moved into a new apartment and noticed the air conditioning was running continuously for nearly 24hrs (when I decided to turn it off to conserve energy).  There are two bedrooms which each have their own supply vents.  One bedroom is an interior room with no exterior walls, while the second bedroom has an exterior wall with a window.  The kitchen and living room are combined in a rectangular room that is 24'x10' with patio doors on the exterior wall.  In this room, the supply and return are located on the same wall (a wall perpendicular to the exterior wall, and immediately next to the patio doors).  The supply vent is just below the ceiling and directly above the return vent (about 4' between the top of the return vent and the bottom of the supply vent).  I think it's short circuiting in this room.  After the A/C was running continuously, both of the bedrooms were a comfortable temperature while the kitchen remained quite warm.  The thermostat is located in a hall that attaches to the kitchen which also remains quite warm (has remained about 76F in this area for the past few days).  I'm not totally sure, but I think that the air is just looping along the exterior wall and no air is making it to the kitchen or the thermostat area.  The supply grille has flippers aimed towards the kitchen, but they don't appear to be very effective.  Is there something that can be done to improve air flow towards the kitchen?
Thanks 

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Techâ„¢
Re: Short Circuiting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
If it is the way you claim it is, for sure it will just fall out of the vent and get sucked directly back in without doing much of any travel through the room (especially a room 24 x 10). Have you looked carefully for any other vents in this living room/kitchen area? If they're the only ones, you could try rigging up a fan infront of the supply, at ceiling level, and try blowing it outwards and into the room more before it gets pulled back to the return air. Do the bedrooms have any return airs? Or is that the only one?

Offline thisislidk

Re: Short Circuiting
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The bedrooms both have their own supply vents.  There is only the one supply vent for the kitchen living room area and only one return in the entire apartment.  I was thinking about rigging up a fan, it could be done, but there's not much space and a curtain rod in the way.  I'm thinking now of replacing one of the light fixtures in the kitchen area with a ceiling fan.