« on: November 27, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »
Just want to know if gfci protect against
Short circuit or amperage to ground

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Gfci
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
That depends.  Is the GFCI a Receptacle Type or Circuit Breaker Type?  If the GFCI is the circuit breaker type, then it protects against both short circuits and ground faults.

A "GFCI" is a ground fault circuit interrupter.

According to the National Electrical Code, a “ground fault” is a conducting connection (whether intentional or accidental) between any electric conductor and any conducting material that is grounded or that may become grounded. Electricity always wants to find a path to the ground. In a ground fault, electricity has found a path to ground, but it is a path the electricity was never intended to be on, such as through a person’s body.

Receptacle Type: This type of GFCI is used in place of the standard duplex receptacle found throughout the house It fits into the standard outlet box and protects you against "ground faults" whenever an electrical product is plugged into the outlet. Most receptacle-type GFCls can be installed so that they also protect other electrical outlets further "down stream" in the branch circuit.

Circuit Breaker Type: In homes equipped with circuit breakers rather than fuses, a circuit breaker GFCI may be installed in a panel box to give protection to selected circuits The circuit breaker GFCI serves a dual purpose - not only will it shut off electricity in the event of a "ground-fault," but it will also trip when a short circuit or an overload occurs Protection covers the wiring and each outlet, lighting fixture, heater, etc. served by the branch circuit protected by the GFCI in the panel box.

Offline preetnep

• 313D Supporter
Re: Gfci
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »
The question that I got was
A gfci receptacle protects against
A excessive amp
B amp to ground
C excessive volt
D short circuit
As its receptacle so I chose amp to ground

Offline Admin