Author Topic: Humidity and Humidifiers  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Sergroum

• Pro Techâ„¢
Humidity and Humidifiers
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
Greetings.

Lately, I've been getting more and more calls regarding lennox and carrier humidifiers. I wonder if someone had similar issues and perhaps found culprits for the problems.

Basically, the humidifiers are not providing enough humidity.

I've got cases such as 2900 sq feet house, with 2 17k humidifiers wired to work with a 600 cfm fan on, even when there is no heat. The humidity cannot go above 30%, despite it being a pretty warm weather. House is newly renovated and duct cleaned, and properly insulated. I've changed the supply from cold to hot water and giving it a few days to see the difference.

1200 sq. feet house with 1 17k humidifier, failing to bring the relative humidity to 30%, with 3 people living in it. The basement is finished and there is some insulation, but no vapour barrier.

And a few other houses in between the two.  Has anyone ever encountered a problem such as this?

The water flows fine and spreads throughout the pad in a relatively proper fashion. No badly sloped humidifiers that make the water only cover half the pad, or whatever. The water pouring out seems to have good pressure, so I didnt widen the oriface, or anything like that just yet.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Humidity and Humidifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
Are they running an air exchanger or kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans for too long?

I install 100's of the HCWB3-12K and 17K humidifiers and never get calls for insufficient humidity. 

Offline Sergroum

• Pro Techâ„¢
Re: Humidity and Humidifiers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
No HRVs present in any of those houses. No abnormal kitchen/washroom exhaust activity. The 2900 sq feet one, the owner admitted he never even cooks at home, always orders in, so his use of a kitchen exhaust is zero.

So yeah. It's all a factor of course, but not enough to cause such significant problems.