Author Topic: union in drop ceiling?  (Read 864 times)

Offline howitt

• Pro Techâ„¢
union in drop ceiling?
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
Can you install a union in a drop ceiling? I need to install a mechanical solenoid shut off valve high in the piping system and I was wondering if it's ok to put a union in before the mechanical shut off in the drop ceiling space?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: union in drop ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »
Clause 6.14.4 - A union or a combination of fittings designed and intended to act as a swing joint shall not be used where piping is concealed.

I would consider a union installed behind a drop ceiling to be concealed, even if it's accessible by removing a tile.  I'm not sure if that was the intent of Clause 6.14.4, but unfortunately that's how it's worded.

To circumvent this rule I have used 2 steel couplings and CSST with fittings to act like a union which prevented me from having to tear back all the gas piping.

Verify the CSST you use is approved to be concealed.  I know Gastite is approved, but in some cases require the CSST be protected by strike plates.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: union in drop ceiling?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
It would be nice if the Gas Code defined the word concealed.  There should be concealment with accessibility and concealment without.  But then we'd be asking for their definition of accessible!    ;D