Thrown to the wolves

Started by mattmctree, June 25, 2017, 06:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmctree

So I've got my 313d which I got while doing mainly installation work and am now working for a larger outfit where my 313a apprenticeship has consisted mainly of maintenance contract along with some repairs however I must admit not a lot of one on one time working with a journeyman. I'm assuming this is the way it is in the industry these days as companies want to make more profit and customers want to save money. I feel I am behind the 8 ball on trouble shooting skills with refrigerant related issues and what to look for.  I'm much more of a hands on learner and I try to read text books but reading isn't my method of learning. Any suggestions? How has everyone else coped with this while keeping the customer and the employer happy?

walker

Best way to learn is to just do it and make mistakes and learn from your mistakes. And always, always have a seasoned vet a phone call away to help you out when you're in a jam or even just to run something by them.  You'll get better with time and experience, we all do.  Even the old know-it-alls didn't know what they were doing at some point.

rmuntz

Let's use the guitar example. If you've never played a guitar before, can you pick one up and start playing right away? No, it takes time, practice and direction. You could go to school to take guitar playing, but coming out with a piece of paper does not make you a guitar player.
Ask questions, ask LOTS of questions. There is some good YouTube stuff, "grayfurnaceman" is one that comes to mind.