Author Topic: Venmar evo5 hrv weird install  (Read 504 times)

Offline Tomtechbignoob

Venmar evo5 hrv weird install
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Hi guys, so I just bought this house and it has this unit installed.
After looking at it I noticed some of the duct connections to the ports didn't make any sense; the flexible hose going back to the ductwork in the house was connected to the port labeled " exhaust air to outside". Both inlet ports (fresh air from outside and exhaust stale air from house) are actually hooked on the tandem transition and are solely coming from outside. There is no source of air coming from inside the house to the unit.

The one port labeled "fresh air to building" had nothing connected to it.

Here's what I don't get: all of the air being blown when the unit is on comes out of the port labeled: "exhaust air to outside" no matter what setting it is on... what am I missing???

Offline scarey8

• 313D Supporter
Re: Venmar evo5 hrv weird install
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »
obviously some issues with installation by the sounds of it.  when you say " nothing connected to the fresh air from outside port"... possibly be cause there is no duct connected to it, you are able to see inside the port, thinking maybe the unit is in defrost or the defrost damper is stuck clocked, blocking off the "fresh air from outside port".  open the door and see if the damper actuates. 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Venmar evo5 hrv weird install
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
Your tandem vent is a 2 in 1 vent.  The exhaust Y should be on the top and blow stale air outside and connect to the exhaust air to outside port.  The intake Y should be on the bottom and suck fresh air in and connect to the fresh air from outside port.

Then the fresh air to building should connect to the return air duct at least 10' away from the furnace and connect to the fresh air to building port.  The stale air from building should connect to the same return air ductwork, at least 3' away from the fresh air to building connection and connect to the exhaust air from building port.

Both outdoor flex ducts must be insulated and the fresh air from outside duct may require R8 insulation depending on where you live.