Author Topic: Installation of receptacle for RTU  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Samjohn

Installation of receptacle for RTU
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »
Hi guys.
Wondering if anyone knows a little bit of the Ontario Electrical Code to help me.
I just had a new replacement RTU installed at one of my buildings. (RE and RE) I noticed that there was a receptacle GFCI built into the the unit. But the installers didn’t connect power to it.
There is no 120V power supplied roof when old unit was there.

I was told that under the electrical code that there must be 120V provided for maintenance of equipment. The company who installed the new RTU said that because it was a retrofit and therefore they didn’t have to follow that code. It was “grandfathered “ in.

Are they correct in saying this? Anyone come across this issue before?

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Installation of receptacle for RTU
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
They are correct according to OESC Bulletin 26-27-1.  See attachments.

Question 2 When replacing an existing rooftop unit on an existing building, does Rule 2-314 require a receptacle for maintenance to be installed for the replaced unit? 

Answer 2 No, replacement of existing equipment does not require a new receptacle to be installed.

2-314 Receptacles required for maintenance of equipment
Where heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and similar equipment is installed on a rooftop other than at a dwelling unit, at least one receptacle shall be
(a) provided for the maintenance of this equipment; and
(b) installed in accordance with Rule 26-704.

26-704 Receptacles for maintenance of equipment located on rooftops (see Appendix B)
Receptacles required by Rule 2-314 for maintenance of heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and similar equipment located on a rooftop shall be
(a) protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type;
(b) supplied by a separate branch circuit that does not supply any other outlets or equipment;
(c) of CSA configuration 5-20R;
(d) located within 7.5 m of the rooftop electrical equipment;
(e) located not less than 750 mm above the finished roof; and
(f) protected from mechanical damage.

Offline Samjohn

Re: Installation of receptacle for RTU
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:14 AM »
Thanks Admin for information