Author Topic: Install Honeywell Lyric thermostat in old house  (Read 1454 times)

Offline ThePerk

Install Honeywell Lyric thermostat in old house
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »
I'm replacing my old Honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell lyric T5 thermostat. After watching YouTube videos and reading up on how to install the thermostat, I believe I can get everything to work.
The problem I'm running into is I will lose the ability to run the fan continuously. It will only kick in when blowing hot or cold air.
The only reason I feel this is an issue is because like I said I have an older house and when I don't run the fan constantly, the basement starts to have a musty smell. When we run the fan continuously I don't notice that smell as much.

Honeywell suggest placing the G wire into the C slot on the new thermostat to get it to power up. But losing the ability to run the fan constantly.
My question is is there an easy way to get the fan to operate properly without fishing new wires from the thermostat back to the furnace?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Install Honeywell Lyric thermostat in old house
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:45:25 AM »
The Lyric has batteries so you don't need to use the C wire, unless you're also using the Apple HomeKit.

You could install a jumper on the furnace board between R and G and that will run the fan continuously, or mount a metal box and switch on the furnace and wire it to R and G.

Or you can purchase the Venstar Add-A-Wire MODEL: ACC0410,

https://venstar.com/thermostats/accessories/add-a-wire/