Author Topic: ECOBEE 4 + HRV + Humidifier  (Read 2424 times)

Offline grinthock

ECOBEE 4 + HRV + Humidifier
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »
Good day, looking for help from the experts. 

I have installed an ECOBEE 4,  ideally I would like to wiring it to both my HRV (control is right beside) and my humidifier (All in the basement)

Here is some info about my install.

Standard Propane furnace with A/C - had a standard 7 day honeywell before, replaced with the Ecobee,  I didn't have a "C" wire but there was an Orange wire unused at both ends, so i used that for "C"

The HRV is a VANEE with a "Bronze" controller that has a dehumidistat with off/min/max options.  4 wires,  Y R G B are wired into it - with one free, it's right beside the EcoBee 4.     FYI - I am 99% sure that the HRV isn't interlocked with the furnace, which I understand is a bit of a no no,  when i turn on my HRV on high - the furnance fan doesn't turn on -- which is a problem I am told.    I am also told, the Ecobee can fix that by triggering the furnace fan when the HRV is triggered --- but i'm not against fixing the HRV properly and having it handle that.

The humidifer is a standard one from home depot, that mounted on the side of the furnace, it has a humidistat in the cold air return and the mechanical kite switch, uses it's own AC power supply right now, all separate.   I install this myself some time ago, works fine.

Looking for guidance to get the HRV and Humidifier both connected to the Ecobee4.

Thanks in advance for your very many years of experiencing helping me out.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: ECOBEE 4 + HRV + Humidifier
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »
The Ecobee 4 is the same as the Ecobee 3 in the sense it can only control a humidifier or HRV, but not both.  I had hoped they would have included a second set of dry contacts, in the latest version, so you can control both humidifier and HRV.

Using the Ecobee 4 with the humidifier is a good option as it has window frost protection.

I'm not 100% sure if the HRV setup will turn the furnace fan on automatically.  Otherwise you should look at interlocking the furnace to the HRV, using the 3 wire method.

Offline grinthock

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:27 PM »
So that’s fine, my only issue is right now I’m short some wire to get that done and running wire to that location isn’t going to be trivial.  I may need to do some wall surgery to get what I need as I only have one spare wire over at the HRV control available and hay doesn’t really go down to he humidifier anyway.

The documentation is very discerning because it shows an “equipment interface” with ACC1 2 and 3 yet the unit only has ACC1

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »
Your Ecobee 4 should have ACC- and ACC+ terminals.

The manual I found online refers to the terminals on the HRV as being R and G, but on your Vanee you likely need to use B and G (You don't need to use Y and R).  Connect them to the ACC terminals and during setup, select 2-wire (ACC+, ACC-) accesory on the thermostat screen.