Author Topic: I'm stumped goodman 2.5 ton 16 seer  (Read 638 times)

Offline Hvacpimp

I'm stumped goodman 2.5 ton 16 seer
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Hey boys, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.....
I went to a service call for a friend of a friend. Upon arrival I found the suction side maxed out and no pressure on the high side. The unit kept going off on the high pressure switch. I locked the unit down, got rid of the remaining freon that was left when I locked off the valves off than blew out the lines. I added a bit of freon to make up for the loss after my vacuum
When I started the unit again it was now running consistently. But now my suction was 125psi and my high side was in around 400psi. The unit was not cooling properly 67 degrees coming out of the plenum. The piston sounds louder than normal. As the unit is running (sounds like a fawcet is running) and the coil was half frozen after about 45 min of run time. The air flow through the coil is good but when I feel the vents upstairs before it started to freeze there was next to nothing on the second floor. Brand new house 2450 soft. Goodman 2.5 ton gsx 16 seer and aspen 2.5 ton coil. The installer says they changed the piston with the one on the condenser. My 410 jug was running low and wouldn't let me put anymore in the unit as it was running.
  I didn't get my superheat or sub cooling as it was getting late and I had to pick up my daughter from the sitter lol. Any ideas, anyone??? I'm stumped

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: I'm stumped goodman 2.5 ton 16 seer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
It sounds like the orifice might be in backwards.  I would pump it down again and check the orifice.