Author Topic: Hot Max Hose for BBQ and Decorative Table  (Read 843 times)

Offline walker

• Pro Tech™
Hot Max Hose for BBQ and Decorative Table
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
https://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Max-24201-Extension-Appliance/dp/B00D86I6OA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532560130&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gas%2Bhose&dpPl=1&dpID=51PV6fA9ntL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Has anyone ever used these? I have a customer that had another contractor pre-run these hoses under a deck that was built.  I've never seen these before.  Is there a quick connect end that attaches to it to connect to the BBQ end ? And the other end threads in to a 3/8" iron fitting?

Offline walker

• Pro Tech™
Re: Hot Max Hose for BBQ and Decorative Table
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
Follow up question for those hoses in question.

Clause 6.20.3 states:
When a gas hose is used
(a) for permanent installation, it shall not exceed 10 ft (3 m) in length and shall neither extend from one
room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor;

Would the hose being run through a hole in a deck be considered a "floor" or "partition" ?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »
Those are 25’ hoses and are only good for 40,000 BTU’s.  The decorative table would be permanent and you could only use a 10 ft gas hose.  Some fire pits are considered portable so maybe check your specs.  If the BBQ does not have wheels and is built into an outdoor kitchen it would be considered permanent as well.  That gas hose says it has CSA approval but I’m not sure if it’s approved to CSA 8.4.  One end would thread onto the appliance and the other would connect to a quick-disconnect fitting.

If the BBQ has wheels I would consider it portable and then you could use up to a 30 ft gas hose as per Clause 6.20.3(b).  I’m assuming the “shall neither extend from one room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor“ in 6.20.3(a) applies to all of Clause 6.20.3.  I would say you can’t run it through the decking.  It’s tricky though, because if you cut the deck board short against the house, the gas hose could come up there and not technically be passing through anything.

Offline NoDIY

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »
it would be considered a floor.

I would remove the hoses, pipe black iron and use a code compliant length of hose.

Offline walker

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
The BBQ and decorative table are both under 40MBTU.

The decorative table line comes right up through a hole in the middle of the deck, so I can't use that hose than, I'll have to run a gastite or black iron line for that.

also I believe most BBQ use a 3/8" connection and these hoses have a 1/4" end on them so I will need an adapter for that as well.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »
Sounds like the same type of hose and fittings we'd have on our turbo torch kits. I'm curious if it meets the proper requirements of 6.2.9.

...On another note, I did have a good chuckle reading the reviews on Amazon.

Offline walker

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »
I just wish customers would stop buying stuff on Amazon and just let me take care of it.  I always just run black pipe when doing BBQs.