Author Topic: Clearance from underside  (Read 382 times)

Offline Mmtc79

• Pro Tech™
Clearance from underside
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
Is the 12 inches or more clearance from underside of deck boards or 12 below the bottom of deck joist ?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Clearance from underside
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Clause 8.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate;
(h) underneath a veranda, porch, or deck unless
(i) the veranda, porch, or deck is fully open on a minimum of two sides beneath the floor; and
(ii) the distance between the top of the vent termination and the underside of the veranda, porch, or deck is greater than 1 ft (300 mm).

I would say if your vent termination is directly beneath the deck boards you need more than 12”.  If you terminate directly beneath a joist then you measure more than 12” from it to the top of the vent.  It says greater than 12”, so keep at least 12.1” of clearance. :)

Offline Mmtc79

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
Yes I'm going to be below the deck boards and below the joist from top of vent to deck boards is about 14 inches I was just wondering if it had to be 12 inches from bottom of joist code is not very clear is just says underneath so if I went 12 below bottom of joist I'd be like 24 plus inches down lol

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
It's where the vent actually terminates.  Just keep it past any joist then you can measure from the bottom of the deck boards.