Author Topic: Trane xv95 speed control  (Read 330 times)

Offline Rjmansbridge

Trane xv95 speed control
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
Hey everyone, I just bought a house that has a Trane xv95 propane furnace in it. We are using it only as backup heat as we prefer to use the wood stove. I was told that if I turn the thermostat fan setting to on, it's supposed to recirculate the air in the home at low speed and distribute the hot air from the basement to the other rooms of the house with the added bonus of going through the filter first, and only kick to high speed when temp drops below setting on thermostat. However, my unit only seems to run on high, and it pushes a lot of air so it's louder than I'd like it to be as an all day thing.

Am I correct in thinking it should run at different speeds or was I misled?
If I wasn't, how can I get it operating properly?

Offline Rjmansbridge

Re: Trane xv95 speed control
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:27:50 AM »
And looking through the installation manual I think the only thing that may be missing is a jumper from R to BK on the furnace

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
Those terminals are only used if a humidistat or fan controller are installed.  I found the dip switch settings.  Do you have an AC installed?  What is the full model number of the furnace and AC?

1. At continuous fan setting: Heating or Cooling airflows are approximately 50% of selected cooling value.

You can download the Trane XV95 Service Manual - Here

You would have to adjust the cooling speed dip switches to affect the continuous fan setting.  If you do have an AC, it's important we leave enough airflow for it to function properly.

Let me know what position the SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4 dip switches are in.

Offline Rjmansbridge

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
TUH2B080A9V3V FURNACE
A/c Is a Ducane model - AC10B24

Dip switch 1-4 are all off.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »
The installer left your cooling speed set at default 1400 CFM for a 3.5 ton AC.  So your continuous fan runs at 700 CFM.  You have a 2 ton AC.

Turn SW1 and SW2 ON for 840 CFM and the continuous fan should run at 420 CFM.

You can get it down to 375 CFM by turning SW1, SW2 and SW4 ON.

Offline Rjmansbridge

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
Yeah I just noticed that. Never thought to look up the AC model. That's what I get for trusting it was installed correctly.

I have switched everything to the lowest CFM.  The continuous fan speed is much lower now, but I think the unit is over sized for our house. We only have 6 registers in our house at the moment. I will be finishing the basement and adding another 4 so that should cut it down to the point you can't really tell it's on during continuous fan.

Offline Rjmansbridge

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
Thanks so much for your help, definitely saved me a few hundred dollars in service calls.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
You’re welcome!

I’m glad you were able to sort it out.