Author Topic: New Furnaces  (Read 1420 times)

Offline BenBear

New Furnaces
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
Looking for some independent recommendations. Our home have two 17 year Lennox Furnace. Added Lennox 1.5 AC to each unit July 2017. These furnace have been trouble free for 17 years...except flame sensor...which I clean every couple of years.

Lennox G60UHV 36B 090 02 & G60UHV 36A 070 02

Now developing my basement...dusty. However I do shut down the furnaces when creating dust and change fiters every week..when dusty.

Small furnace was not always firing up last week. So I removed and cleaned the flame sensor. After reinstall the internal furnace breaker was tripping...no power to board. The furnaces use FastStat for Tstat connectivity. Had two Lennox dealers in, suggested board, Faststat can be problematic...etc. We’re willing to come out for diagnostic...and see if could find problem. Fair...howerver at $120/hr was not comfortable in that appproach..as it appeared to me to be a short problem. Long story short, removed FastStat , AC wiring from circuit board, carefully reconnected each wire.same at TStat, and furnace fan switch. Now operating great. Some wiring at the circuit board were a bit loose and crowded. I’m guessing a poor contact caused breaker tripping issue.

However, have not ruled out a possible FastStat or circuit board issue. May have got lucky. Saying that, I’m looking at possibly replacing the furnace because of age.

I’m looking at the Daikin based on online “best ten”. We like our current DC variable speed fan and performance of the furnaces. Challenge is trying to decide to repair or replace going forward. Know this has many variables. Not comfortable in spending $700 on a new circuit board then have to replace the fan motor ...etc.

I’m looking for a couple of things.

Your view ...repair or replace going forward.
What brand would you install to replace the 17 yr old Lennox furnaces.

My objective is to be prepared if these furnace go down again.
Any experience and recommendations is sincerely appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: New Furnaces
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
If the Lennox furnaces lasted 17 years stick with them.  The EL195, EL196 or EL296 are good furnaces and reasonably priced.  I would never spend a dime on a furnace older than 15 years.

Offline Sergroum

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »
Agreed. though el1** are all one stagers. Would probably suggest going two stage, if you're changing furnaces.

Offline BenBear

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »
Agree. Howerver one one stagers are less expensive to repair...ten years from now.

Offline Hvacpimp

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
Those fast stats are life savers but they are known to cause problems. If the only thing to get it going again is replacing the fast stat that are usually around $80-$100. I would keep the furnaces you currently have. If you can get another year or two than why not?!?!